Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
cane6Ki
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9790
My Carrier: 1und1
Accepted Solution

Massive problems with BlackBerry ID/BIS/App World after provider switch

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I recently switched providers and got a bunch of different problems since then. The old provider deleted my BIS account, which of course also disabled the push mail functionality on my BlackBerry. I tried to register a new account with my new provider, which didn't work for unknown reasons. After several calls to my new providers hotline they finally suggested to reset my BB to factory default and try registering again. After the reset, pretty much the very first thing I was prompted with was the BlackBerry ID login. I used my old login and right after that, in the mail setup dialog, got the error again that there's a problem with the applications server and I can't create or login with a BIS account. I wondered how it could know my BIS account, so I did another factory reset and this time created a new BlackBerry ID. This time everything went fine, the new BIS account was created within seconds and a test mail was delivery to my device immediately. I was pretty happy, until I noticed that I couldn't restore all my data from BlackBerry Protect because of the new BlackBerry ID. Also all my apps were gone from App World, which is linked to the BlackBerry ID as well. So what I'm wondering now is

1) why is my BIS account linked to my BlackBerry ID,

2) how can I unlink it and use my new BIS account with my old BlackBerry ID and

3) if I can't, how do I get my BlackBerry Protect data and App World purchases back?

I'd prefer having the first two questions answered, because I'm sure switching providers and therefore BIS accounts is a pretty common thing, so there must be some do this right, right? I hope there's some way to fix it, because if I have to choose between "keep apps but live without email" and "have push mail and repurchase all apps", I'd probably choose Android instead.

PS: I also tried to find a way to contact RIM, so they could somehow unlink my old BIS account from my BlackBerry ID, but there's really not such a thing as "BlackBerry Support". The only thing I found was a button on the App World page for refunds etc, but even there the link was dead.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
cane6Ki

Re: Massive problems with BlackBerry ID/BIS/App World after provider switch

*bump*

Anyone else having this problem? Is anyone from RIM reading here? How do I get support? The only way to contact RIM I found was @blackberryhelp on twitter, and those guys actually don't help at all.

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Your carrier should be able to help with regards to the issue you're having with your BIS and BlackBerry ID.

Cheers.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
cane6Ki

I already spent hours on the phone with my carrier (1und1, Germany). They say they can't do anything. So I tried to contact RIM directly, but the only way I found was via twitter @blackberryhelp. They said I should ask my carrier to escalate this issue to RIM, which I found weird, because @blackberryhelp _IS_ RIM, right? Anyway, I spent another 1.5h on the phone with my carriers support and they again came to the conclusion that they can't do anything and they can't escalate this issue to RIM because apparently they don't have an "interface to RIM" (ie contact person). Asking @blackberryhelp, they just told me to call my carrier and ask to escalate this issue to RIM again. I guess that's some kind of auto-reply?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
cane6Ki

*bump again*

It's been anothe 2 weeks now. @blackberryhelp doesn't reply anymore. Tried to comment on helpblog.blackberry.com, but the moderators won't even publish my post. I'm sure someone with RIM could fix this within seconds, but no one seems to bother. How can a company like RIM even provide a bunch of services and don't provide any support? That is, except for a twitter account where they post the same lame tips every day and a blog where help requests are censored. Frustrating.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hello,

The Twitter account is not, from a contractual standpoint, formal support. (Neither is this site, btw, nor any other.) The sole contractually required formal support channel is via escalation from the carriers. And, with the complexities of your issue, formal support is what is required to untangle this mess and make the necessary corrections.

However, what your German carrier told you is quite interesting...reference this page:

While from time to time I've heard of carriers not listed being BB supporting carriers, I've always used that list as my authoritative list of truly authorized BB selling and supporting carriers. I don't find the name you posted (1und1, Germany) anywhere on that list, which would lead me to believe that what they've told you is correct...if they are not an authorized BB supporting carrier, then indeed they have no escalation path into RIM...but that's not RIMs fault, is it? Further, if they are not an authorized BB carrier, then I would surmise that you are likely to continue to have other problems in the future, even if this one should happen to get worked out. Further still, if their system does not natively support your specific model BB (which we cannot check on since they are not listed on the above linked page), then activating your BB on their network will be even more challenging since most carrier networks only deliver the required Service Books to the specific BB model numbers that they natively support.

All in all, you have a complex situation...hence the continuing advice for you to seek out formal support via the contractually required formal support channels. I wish I could give you better information, but this can only be resolved "inside" and you can only get "inside" via the formal support channels.

That said, there is something available direct from RIM called incident support, but it costs to just ask the initial question, since you are bypassing the contractually required formal support channels. If you wish to investigate that, you can review it here:

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
cane6Ki

Thanks a lot for the reply, I began feeling really alone with this problem. :smileyhappy: I'm pretty confident that 1und1 should be on that list of carriers though. At least I have a BIS account ...@1und1.blackberry.com now, I guess that means that they're somehow working together? The BIS account is working fine as far as I can tell, the only problem now is that I had to create a new BlackBerry ID to use it, which means I can't access my apps anymore. And could you please further explain those "contractually required formal support channels"? How do I do that?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

I have no insight into if the carrier you are using should or should not be on that list. All I have is what you reported (that they can't escalate) coupled with that list...which leads me to conclude that they are not a fully authorized BB carrier. They would seem to be somehow affiliated though, since indeed you were able to set up BIS services with them. But, I do know of other carriers that are not listed...and as I recall they are something of a sub to a fully authorized carrier, and somehow provide services through that other carrier (who has the formal contract with RIM). I'm really guessing here as I have absolutely no insight into anything authoritative on this matter.

Regarding the contractually required formal support model...it works like this. You contract with a carrier for services. As part of that contract, you agree to a support model, and that support model starts with them (normally...as I said earlier, some models in some regions use service centers instead...you must review your specific documentation to know what the actual support model is for your specific contract). Consequently, all service-related support needs that you have must start with your carrier (or service center)...contractually, you are not allowed to bypass them and seek formal help direct from RIM. Hence the cost of the direct-to-RIM Incident Support system...you are electing to bypass your contract, and doing so is not "free". (There are also contracts between the carriers and RIM which further require that the carriers provide that front-line support to their end users, and provide the carriers with certain controls over some things that the end users are allowed access to...but that's just in support of the contract between you and your carrier.)

Now, in some situations (yours included, sadly), it gets even more complex. What I said above applies solely to the services you receive on your BB (voice, data, email, etc.). But, that has nothing to do with support for the device itself (e.g., warranty)...that's a separate contract, and was executed at the time of purchase between you and your place of purchase. That place of purchase (or assigned service center) is responsible for all support for the device itself (warranty, etc.). Again, this servicing (e.g., warranty) is delegated from RIM to the resellers...RIM provides zero front line support for devices, services, etc...none...all of that is contractually delegated down from RIM to various other entities (the carriers, resellers, service centers, etc.). RIM provides warranty and such, but the servicing of such is provided by others from a front line perspective...again, escalation into RIM is available to those front-line entities, but not to end users (save for the fee-based Incident Support model).

In your case, this could get quite messy. All too often, a service related issue is ignored by the carrier if they discover that they also did not originally sell the device to the end user (if they sold both the device and service, they would be responsible for all support for everything). They have a sad tendency to "blame the device" when it's really a service issue, and ignore the plea from the end user. Despicable, yes...but it happens all too often. And it get's worse...the device support entity will often likewise blame the service entity. The sad part of this bad scenario is that it's the end user who is left out in the cold with no service nor support from anyone that will actually aid their situation. Hopefully, this really poor outcome happens only rarely...but I know 100% (from reports on this forum) that it does happen more than 0%. I hope it does not come to pass for you, but I thought I'd warn you about it just in case so that you can be prepared for it.

All in all, I think what I'd suggest is that you press 1udn1 for support and escalation on this. Get them to tell you why they have no escalation path since, as far as you understand, they are 100% responsible for all of your service-related support, and that is exactly what this situation is, and they need to resolve it for you one way or another. Escalate with them to managers with them...the front line folks you reach likely won't have any authority to do anything "off script"...and you'll likely need that. Stress to them that you PAY THEM for your services and service-related support...and right now they are delivering neither to you, yet you continue to PAY THEM. Get them to reveal why they have no escalation capability...and see if they will reveal that they are sub to another carrier who does have that capability, and see if you can escalate that way.

You also may want to contact your former carrier...perhaps they did not fully release something related to your BB/BIS account, and that is what is preventing it from migrating to your new device? It is quite normal to migrate a BIS account from device to device (15 in one year, as I recall), so that one can retain their AW purchase records and such. This holds true crossing carriers...indeed, I've had one BIS account for years, and it started on one carrier and is now on a different one, and all my things are properly intact. Something is wrong "inside" preventing yours from doing so, and that needs attention "inside" to resolve for you.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
cane6Ki

Just a short update in case anyone else gets in a desparate situation like me. After the last reply from sdgardne (thanks a lot btw) I had given up hope, because I didn't want to waste any more time with incompetent personnel of my ISP. But in a last shot I collected a bunch of email addresses from the web that I thought were somehow related to RIM customer support/relations and sent an email describing my problem to all of them. I didn't really expect anything, but after two or three days I got a response. A very nice person basically said "That's no problem at all, we fixed your account. All you have to do now is to make a backup, security-wipe your smartphone and login with your old BlackBerry ID." That's what I did, and it everything worked just fine, with my new BIS account AND my old apps :smileyvery-happy: \o/

Way to go RIM!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Yay! While I'm glad that worked for your situation, it's really quite unusual indeed. In any event, at least you got going.

Cheers and enjoy!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.