Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Vaijayanti
My Device: BB Torch
My Carrier: Vodafone

My torch fell in water :(

Hi, I need some serious helps ASAP.

I dropped some water on my Torch earlier this evening & it took me a while to realise it was totally drenched.. say about 2 minutes. I took out the battery sim dried it with some toilet paper as much as i could and t hen i put the battery back it n it was functioning perfectly fine! But just to be a lil more careful i also dried it with my hairdrier.. it was working fine for a few hours till i made another huge mistake :smileysad:

Since i thougt its fine.. the battery was low.. so i put it to charge.. and even then it was working i was getting texts and everything. but suddenly it went off and now wont start. I then FREAKED out and googled it and then heard abt puttin it in rice.

Its lying in a bowl of rice now.. but im freaking out and i cant wait till mornin to rush and get it chcked :smileysad: I feel horrible.. it was a birthday gift i got from just a couple of weeks back :smileysad:

any help at htis point woul be great!!

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: My torch fell in water :(

[ Edited ]

Recharging a battery that has been exposed to water before letting it sit in rice for atleast 4-5 days is murder.  I'm going to try to be as gentle with the news as possible, so please take a breath before continuing on............

If you haven't thoroughly dried it in rice for ATLEAST 4-5 days then you try to recharge it, the prognosis for a complete recovery is dim.  Even though it's after the fact, get that battery into some rice ASAP and leave it until this weekend.  If there's any chance of reviving it, it'll happen in the rice in the next few days.  Don't take it out until the weekend, no matter how great the temptation.  If it works after that, count your lucky stars.  If it doesn't, let's just hope you backed up your data with BlackBerry Desktop Software beforehand.

There, I told you it wasn't going to be pretty.  Good luck with it, and please let us know if you have good news about it this weekend.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Kregeron
My Device: torch
My Carrier: 02

just watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xCTPQ-JPX4 and if this cant help you nuthing can

my torch feel in the toilet today and it worked after i did this but you need to listen to him very careully and if you take it to o2 they will say it will be fix in 72 days but they wont ok bye ^_^

Please use plain text.
Kregeron
My Device: torch
My Carrier: 02

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

The common factor with the rice technique and this guy's youtube technique is to draw out the moisture.  The rice technique has been proven, this guy's technique would probably work as well. 

The underlying message with using any technique is to not try to recharge the battery while there's still moisture in the phone.  Any method that removes the moisture before you recharge again is recommended.

Thanks for the link, Kregeron.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
BBTorch1000
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Simple Mobile

.....Hey....My BB Torch 9800 Fell In My Water Wednesday.....I Took It Out And Left It For A while(Not Realizing The Importance Of Taking Out The Battery ASAP).....It Was Still Working Which Was A Good Sign.....After A While I Took Out The Battery & Placed It Back In...The Phone Took A While To Boot Up And When It Did, It Did Some Weird Things Like Kept On Taking Pics On It's Own......The Best Part Was That It Came On Though So I Knew I Just Had To Dry It....I Used My Cousins Hair Dryer(The Big Ones They Use In The Hair Salons That U Sit Under).....I Left It For Like 2 Hours On Low Heat Not Knowing If I Should Have Turned Up The Heat More....After A While I Checked It & It Worked Great!....Only Thing Was The Keyboard(The physical QWERTY Keyboard) Worked Then Would Stop And Work Again....I Knew I Just Had To Dry It Some More So I did(This Time On High Heat For Like 2 Hours).....When I Checked It, It Was Flawless!!!....Worked Like It Just Came Out The Factory!....Even 2 Buttons(The 1 to Turn It On & Off Or End A Call And The Button To Go Back) Started To Work!......I Was Gonna Put It In Rice But That Would Take To long & We All Know What It's Like To Wait!......Hope This Helps Man!!!.....

Please use plain text.
Sophielouisechantel
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: O2

:mansad:

does ur torch still work 

I just did this, it fell in the sink when I was washing up and I got it out within a few seconds (it was still on and working as bbms where still comming through) dried it all out in a towel and took battery out SIM card and micro sd out left it in a towel for 5mins. Then stupid me, i panicked and put the battery in and the phone started to reboot the next time I look it had stopped. So I put it charge ( a red light came on then went off) and hour later after reading all these forums I took the battery out again And placed in rice please say there is a slight chance of it working  😥 Only had it a week :'( 

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Sophielouisechantel wrote:

:mansad:

does ur torch still work 

I just did this, it fell in the sink when I was washing up and I got it out within a few seconds (it was still on and working as bbms where still comming through) dried it all out in a towel and took battery out SIM card and micro sd out left it in a towel for 5mins. Then stupid me, i panicked and put the battery in and the phone started to reboot the next time I look it had stopped. So I put it charge ( a red light came on then went off) and hour later after reading all these forums I took the battery out again And placed in rice please say there is a slight chance of it working  😥 Only had it a week :'( 

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Continue to wait the maximum recommended time (5 days) in the rice.

Applying power to your BB between it getting wet and doing this process reduces the chances of success. Further, the only thing predictable about moisture intrusion into a BB (indeed, any electronic device) is that the results will be unpredictable. I've seen some come back up right away and be fine. I've seen others never work at all. I've seen still others run for a bit, and then die later. And every thing in between.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.