Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
Synochka
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900

NFC::How to Turn the Card Emulation On

Good day to the BB community!

Could you please kindly advise how do I turn on the NFC Card Emulation mode on the 9900 w/o any additional midlets, i.e. using the BB right from the box?

The Secure Element is on the UICC. It supports the SWP.

Different contactless desktop readers were used but none of them react on the BB in the RF field.

The smart tags are detected by the BB. I've found the information on this forum that card emulation is not possible when the Smart Tags app is running. Still, closing it through the BB button menu do not activate the card emulation. Moreover, even when the Smart Tags app is not working (closed from the BB button menu) the phone still reacts on the NFC tags and opens the Smart Tags app automatically. So, maybe this is a problem - the Smart Tags app is always working and the card emulation is not possible.

Thanks in advance for you answers, opinions and advice!

Retired
mwoolley
My Device: Z10

Re: NFC::How to Turn the Card Emulation On

Hello

the Smart Tags application will not interfere with the use of card emulation mode.

There's an entry in the NFC Develoepr FAQ that talks about card emulation mode. Have a look at item 3 here:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/NFC-Developer-FAQ/ta-p/1634793

I suggest that first of all you upgrade your device to the latest available build of the firmware. If you still do not see evidence of card emulation being activated (which it should be for UICC by default except in early builds), then please install the NFCTransactionHandler application which you can download from the GitHub repo which is listed here:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/NFC-Developer-FAQ/ta-p/1634793

There's a presigned cod file included so you can just install it directly over USB with javaloader:

javaloader -u load NfcTransactionHandler

You can explicitly switch card emulation mode on with the large button provided for that purpose. If this works then the issue is that you are running an old build. If it does not then there is some other issue (I'd check the UICC first).

If this doesn't help, please post device firmware version details as shown in Options-About Device Versions.

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to press the like button on the right side if you liked my attempts to help :-)
And please mark posts as solved if you think I found the solution or set you on its path. Thanks!
Follow me on Twitter: @mdwrim
New Contributor
Synochka
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900

mwoolley

Thanks a lot!

Upgrading the firmware of the BB9360 to the latest 7.0.0.2423 solved the problem with the card emulation mode.

Retired
mwoolley

Cool, very glad I could help :-)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to press the like button on the right side if you liked my attempts to help :-)
And please mark posts as solved if you think I found the solution or set you on its path. Thanks!
New Contributor
germinou
My Device: 9360

Hello,

I am working on a BB 9360. 

I have tried NFCVirutalTagFun. 

When I run "emulate smart card" and put it on a HID omnkey reader, I can see the same SELECT APDU COMMAND received and the same "6D 00" sent. So I think, card emulation is not really working. 

So, I have tried another example : NfcTransaction Handler. 

The first LED is green, the second grey. So the card emulation is OFF.

When I tried to active it with the first button, I get "Card emulation not enabled".

I have a 9360 and it seems to be enabled. I didn't found any "Card emulation" option in the mobile phone. 

Do you have any idea? 

Maybe I have to upgrade my mobile phone. 

In Options - device version, I have : 

7.1 Bundle 1133 (v7.1.0.336, Platform 9.6.0.51)
3G Bands 1,2,5,6

Cryptographic kernel v3.8.7.1

Branding version 1.0.91.225t

Micro edition  Configuration : CLDC-1.1

Micro edition  profile : MIDP 2.1

Micro edition  JTWI Version : 1.0

Micro edition  Media Version : 1.1

Micro edition  PIM Version : 1.0

Micro edition  File version : 1.0

Micro edition  Bluetooth version : 1.1

Micro edition  Location version : 1.0.1

Micro edition   Securtiy and trust service (APDU) Version : 1.0

WLAN version : 4.5.0.189

Mobile Radio Version : 1.2.3.4.7, SV 2.0

Thanskfully, 

Germain

Retired
mwoolley

Hello Germain

on your first point about using the emulation app with the HID reader, what you are seeing is correct. The HID reader is trying to select a well known AID, defined in the Global Platform spec where it says "The default AID of the Issuer Security Domain, based on the above ISO assigned RID, is 'A0000001510000'.". That's what I see with my own HID reader anyway. The BlackBerry application receiving the select comment as an emulated NFC target, is not programmed to support it and so returns 6D 00 as the status word of the response, meaning "Instruction code not supported or invalid" per the ISO7816-4 specification.

As for why your device is refusing to enable card emulation mode, that's trickier to diagnose here. Please send me a private message and we'll talk it through offline and then when we have an answer, post the result here for others.

Regards

Martin

Retired
mwoolley

To summarise the outcome of this particular investigation:

For true NFC card emulation to be possible, there must be a secure element available and to which the selected ISO 14443 protocol will be routed. The NfcTransactionHandler application works with a secure element in a UICC (SIM) by default. The tests being performed here did not include such a UICC/secure element and so it was not possible to enable card emulation.

After further discussion, it was concluded that virtual target emulation would be a better solution to the requirements anyway. This does not require a secure element, with the APDU exchange being handled directly by a BlackBerry Java application rather than smartcard applet in a secure element. Note (fyi) that virtual target emulation actually uses NFC reader/writer mode and not proper card emulation mode (even though your application will be emulating a card in software), just to try to avoid confusion here. The point is that even when you have implemented your virtual target emulation solution, you will not see any evidence (for example using NfcTransactionHandler) of NFC card emulation mode having been enabled.... because it hasn't :-)

Hope that makes sense!

Martin