Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
miketha
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: 5105470600
Accepted Solution

Newbie Questions re: BIS (But not a newbie to BB)

I have had BB phones since the 8320 came out.  Now have 9700.  I make use of BB's intl email when overseas.  (I gather that BB is in 90 countries - I have used it in at least 15.)

1.  I am not really knowledgeable about all this.  All I know is that BB processes my email being forwarded from gmail, Yahoo etc.  I forward my business email to gmail  (sole business enterprise)..   

Is BB going to continue this service for phones that operate on OS 5,6 and 7?  I gather it has been discontinued on OS 10?

2.  Is the BES service suitable for a solo businessman who only needs to handle email?  It would appear it may be only for mega-businesses.   Are there companies out there that would bundle small users together to gain access to BES?  (Is that feasible.?)

And finally, if small users are, in fact, going to be cut off from BB utilities - why should we stay  (only have 2 lines)?

Google suddenly cut off Google Voice from all BB users last month.  Google Maps still works on everything but OS10 - but Google could cut that off as well (altho I doubt it since I think that's a money maker for them.  

Except for the fact BB may be the last mfr. w. a physical keyboard - what does BB have to offer that Android or other OS systems don't have?   Because of a recently acquired slight hand tremor - I need a physical keyboard.  I have trouble using a virtual keypad.   

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Newbie Questions re: BIS (But not a newbie to BB)

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

miketha wrote:

1.  I am not really knowledgeable about all this.  All I know is that BB processes my email being forwarded from gmail, Yahoo etc.  I forward my business email to gmail  (sole business enterprise)..   

What happens is that BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service), which is a set of servers hosted at the carriers and BB, recognizes that a new email has arrived at your email service (gmail, yahoo, etc.)...it then brings a copy of that email to your BB. It does this for every account you integrate into BIS. It is not relevant where the new email comes from -- it can be from someone else, or it can be your business forward...it does not matter...all that matters is a new email arrives at your gmail/yahoo, and BIS brings a copy to your BB.

miketha wrote:

Is BB going to continue this service for phones that operate on OS 5,6 and 7?  I gather it has been discontinued on OS 10?

BIS will continue for pre-BB10 devices...they have no choice, for they have only BIS through which to deal with email. BB10 devices, on the other hand, have a full on-device email client, and do not need BIS in order to work with your gmail or yahoo (and other) email services.

miketha wrote:

2.  Is the BES service suitable for a solo businessman who only needs to handle email?  It would appear it may be only for mega-businesses.   Are there companies out there that would bundle small users together to gain access to BES?  (Is that feasible.?)

The size of the business entity isn't really relevant, I think. What matters is the services you absolutely require to be functional...you can review the service differences here:

• KB03652Comparing BlackBerry Internet Service and BlackBerry Enterprise Server features

If you absolutely must have the things that BES provides, then you next must choose how to obtain those things. There are a few choices, including:

1. Buying and hosting full-BES in house for your in-house email system
  2. Obtaining the free BES-X, and hosting that for your in-house email system
  3. Outsourcing your entire email system to a provider who can provide you with BES-level service

There are likely other choices, but those are the basics I think.

For a sole proprietorship, hosting anything in-house really seems like something not worth doing...large enterprises could achieve the economies of scale that a small business cannot. But, there are plenty of fine email hosting services in the world that can include BES. So even a small business person can obtain the benefits of BES, since most of those hosting services are priced on a per-mailbox level.

miketha wrote:

And finally, if small users are, in fact, going to be cut off from BB utilities - why should we stay  (only have 2 lines)?

What, exactly, is being cut off? If you stay with a legacy (pre-BB10) device, then you continue to use BIS. If you move up to a BB10 device, then you lose BIS...but, so far, the primary thing that is truly lost is any hosted (e.g., @BB, @carrier, etc.) email addresses...most everything else remains the same (or, in the case of a few things, will be the same "soon"). BB10 devices simply bypass BIS as the email handling intermediary and instead interact directly with your email server. I'm really not sure what you think is being cut off.

miketha wrote:

Google suddenly cut off Google Voice from all BB users last month.  Google Maps still works on everything but OS10 - but Google could cut that off as well (altho I doubt it since I think that's a money maker for them. 

Yes, Google has slowly but surely ceased supporting BlackBerry for many things. But, how does this reflect on BlackBerry? BlackBerry didn't cause Google to make the business decision that Google made, did they?

miketha wrote:

Except for the fact BB may be the last mfr. w. a physical keyboard - what does BB have to offer that Android or other OS systems don't have?   Because of a recently acquired slight hand tremor - I need a physical keyboard.  I have trouble using a virtual keypad.   

Well, that depends on who you ask -- those who hate BB will answer "nothing". Those who love BB will answer differently. I can tell you that, after using an Android for almost 2 years, and then having the opportunity to run it in parallel with a Z10 for almost 2 months, I came to truly hate the Droid, and have finally been able to decommission it completely since BB10 no longer requires an expensive BIS-level data plan.

I might encourage you to try out the Z10 virtual keyboard, though...it is the best I've ever seen on any device from any manufacturer. It really is that good...scary good sometimes, with it's ability to "read my mind" and predict what I want to say.

So, the key for each individual is IMHO to truly come to an understanding of what you absolutely must have and what you can compromise on. Then, evaluate the alternatives to decide what is the best fit for you. If it's BB, then great. But if it's not, then that too is fine...for no one has yet figured out the perfect device for everyone...if anyone had done that, we'd not have the plethora of choices that we do have, after all!

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
miketha

Sdgardne -

Thanks for the detailed reply and education.

Just one follow-up question, if I may.    TMobile (U.S.) and, I believe ATT  offers unlimited email when traveling internationally at 67¢/day.  That feature/option would seem to disappear unless we continue to use a phone with BIS.  

Glad to hear BIS will not be continued anytime soon.   I guess I should try and follow up with TMobile to see what their future plans are.

And thanks for confirming BES is geared to large organizations.

My situation is somewhat unique.  I have a hand tremor that makes it hard to use a "virtual" keyboard.   I can use a BB physical keyboard on any BB w.o. much trouble.  OTH, as my wife points out, with newer phones you can simply speak instructions and text. (She has a 2+ y.o. Android.)    I speak/dial phone numbers to dial on my 9700.    

Since you confirmed BIS will be around (and I assume TM will continue to support it) -  I'll wait until the Q10 comes out, then compare it with the Z10 for usability.  I'll keep my 9700 to use for the 4-6 weeks a year we are overseas.    

Thanks again

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

miketha wrote:

Just one follow-up question, if I may.    TMobile (U.S.) and, I believe ATT  offers unlimited email when traveling internationally at 67¢/day.  That feature/option would seem to disappear unless we continue to use a phone with BIS.  

I've no idea...the carriers control the plans and services that they have, and I've found it quite impossible to keep up with the differences among the hundreds of BB-supporting carriers in the world. You'd need to ask them about that.

miketha wrote:

And thanks for confirming BES is geared to large organizations.

That is not at all what I stated, nor do I believe it to be true. Full in-house BES, yes, is geared toward enterprises that can achieve economies of scale. But there are BES-level services (e.g., hosted) availble to pretty much anyone.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
miketha

What I meant to say re: BES - it isn't for me - especially since BIS will still be around for older OS. I think I read that BB will be coming out w. other models (somewhat lower end) that will work on OS7 by the end of the year.
I will be contacting TM to see their plans regarding support for BIS on older phones.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Virmaline
My Device: Bold 9650 (non-camera)
My Carrier: Sprint

[ Edited ]

I can't see BlackBerry getting rid of BIS anytime soon. The Legacy OS devices depend on it, and there are millions and millions of them out there. They're still being sold new, on contract!

That said, I love my BlackBerry 6 Bold and reliable BIS for the following reasons:

1. True push email

2. Level 1 filters and notification

3. My @carrier.blackberry.net email address

4. Data compression

The reason I like my @carrier.blackberry.net email address goes to security; it can't be accessed from anywhere except my BlackBerry handset. Essentially, it's an email address that can't be hacked like an ordinary web-accessible email address by someone sitting at a computer terminal somewhere even in another country. I use it to receive my most important emails.

As for Google, who cares? I have Google Talk open on my phone to IM those people who aren't savvy enough to own BlackBerry smart phones, but Google talk is nowhere near as good as BBM. BBM is always connected; it doesn't disconnect from the server like Google Talk and other IM clients. I often notice other IM clients will be disconnected, and I'll need to sign in again. Besides, so far Blackberry hasn't opened BBM up to Google either, and I'm thankful for that. Anyway, a person who cares about being connected should obtain a BlackBerry.

Please use plain text.