Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
My Device: Pearl 8110
Accepted Solution

Newbie to Blackberry and very confused

Hello everyone.  My name is Coreen and I am fairly new to the blackberry Pearl 8100.  I have done a few things with it, but I know the reputation of the Blackberry and know it can do MUCH more.  I just cant figure this out.  First of all I have been reading the posts on this site ALL day but I get lost with the acronyms.  If someone could please tell me what they all mean I would appreciate it. Maybe then I can find the answers to the following two questions:

1. How do I get my outlook and my blackberry to work together?  Can I get my addresses from outlook to my pearl?
  2. Why do I have to take the pictures that are saved on my media card and save them to my phone n order to get them from the Destop Manager?
  3. I have the SAME problem that a gentleman named Xavier does and I have included his post in this message. "I have an interesting problem with my Blackberry Pearl (8130). Every morning when I wake up the phone is always frozen on the same screen. Nothing seems to work except holding down the power button until it switches off. The screen is blank (white) except at the very top it says "Voice Dialing" then right below that 'Scanning address book for entries...' or something like that, then right below that 0%. Thats it. Every morning I have to restart my phone which needless to say is quite annoying. Can I turn off voice dialing somehow? I don't use it every. Is this a common problem? Suggested fixes?? Thanks, Xavier "

I used to think mine was due to my bluetooth not being turned off at night and laying next to the Pearl, but once I turned it off and it continued I thought I was going crazy.  Also on my phone I cant hold down the power button to get out of it, I have to disable the phone completely: take out battery and SIM card then turn the phone back on when this happends. 

Please any help you guys can offer me would be great. 

Thank you!

Coreen

Solutions: 6,124
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Newbie to Blackberry and very confused

[ Edited ]
Greetings, and welcome to the BlackBerry.com Support Forums.

reenie31 wrote:
  1. How do I get my outlook and my blackberry to work together?  Can I get my addresses from outlook to my pearl?
Yes, very seamless. Step 1 Install Blackberry Desktop Manager Manager from
http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/desktop/

Step2
Connect blackberry to your PC using a USB cable and let blackberry device driver install. When device driver install is complete, it will alert "hardware installed successfully" in your windows task tray.

Step3
Run Blackberry Desktop software and choose SYNCHRONIZE option.

Step4
Now choose CONFIGURE and you may select CONTACTS, CALENDAR, NOTES, and TASKS databases by clicking check boxes next to each. After you select each item, it will ask which application you would like to sync it with, you will choose OUTLOOK for all.

Step5
Now click OK out of all windows until you are at the main blackberry desktop manager screen. click SYNCHRONIZE. Make sure that the SYCHRONIZE ORGANIZER DATA check box is checked. Now click SYNCHRONIZE NOW to begin synchronization.

Why do I have to take the pictures that are saved on my media card and save them to my phone n order to get them from the Destop Manager?You don't have to do that. On your Options > Media Card, enable Mass Storage and then when you plug your BB in to the PC via the USB, your Media Card will appear as a removable drive from which you can drag and drop the files to and from the PC <> BB.
I have the SAME problem that a gentleman named Xavier does and I have included his post in this message. "I have an interesting problem with my Blackberry Pearl (8130). Every morning when I wake up the phone is always frozen on the same screen. Nothing seems to work except holding down the power button until it switches off. The screen is blank (white) except at the very top it says "Voice Dialing" then right below that 'Scanning address book for entries...' or something like that, then right below that 0%. Thats it. Every morning I have to restart my phone which needless to say is quite annoying. Can I turn off voice dialing somehow? I don't use it every. Is this a common problem? Suggested fixes?? Thanks, Xavier "

I used to think mine was due to my bluetooth not being turned off at night and laying next to the Pearl, but once I turned it off and it continued I thought I was going crazy.  Also on my phone I cant hold down the power button to get out of it, I have to disable the phone completely: take out battery and SIM card then turn the phone back on when this happends.

Have you upgraded the BB to OS 4.5 recently?

Message Edited by JSanders on 11-11-2008 05:16 PM

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Mr. JSanders first and foremost THANK YOU for all you answers.  I am going to attempt them all now.  I have already installed the Desktop manager and I use it often.  I just never syncronized before because I didnt know what it was supposed to do.  I didnt know if I would lose anything doing it.  But goign to back up the Pearl and then syncronize it. 

As far as this comment "Have you upgraded the BB to OS 4.5 recently?"

What is BB and how do I change the operating system? My current OS is 4.3

[ Edited ]

reenie31 wrote:

As far as this comment "Have you upgraded the BB to OS 4.5 recently?"

What is BB and how do I change the operating system? My current OS is 4.3

You are welcome.

BB = BlackBerry.

A constantly scanning media card sometimes occurs after upgrading the device to OS 4.5, and in this case is probably not your problem. Could be, though. Do you have a Media Card in the device, if you do, remove it a couple of days and see if the issue persists and let's troubleshoot this to find out what the problem is.

Message Edited by JSanders on 11-11-2008 06:02 PM

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Elite I
My Device: STORM 9550 Verizon <><

[ Edited ]

Welcome to BB Forums! you will love your blackberry.  I recently upgraded to 4.5 and have been pleased! There are alot of smart VERY SMART blackberry users here that can help you! They help me on a daily basis! I love this forum!

Blessings

http://www.blackberrycool.com/2008/08/how-to-upgrade-your-blackberry-software/

Message Edited by cathlabnurse on 11-11-2008 07:22 PM

:smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: Nurse-Berry :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:

Here is a link directly to the latest 8100 OS, and full instructions.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8100-series-discussion-pearl/151888-latest-os-8100-4-5-0-108...

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Mr JSanders and cathlabnurse  I have done all that was requested of me and here are the results:

Syncing working.  However not all addresses were added but all names were but this is easily fixed.

Changing the settings with the media card also worked

I went (through my desktop manager) to update my Pearl and after doing its thing it says I am currently running the latest software for my pearl.  So I will take out my media card for 2 days and see how that goes.

Thank you all very much for helping me.  This place is a good one to keep around.  I plan on sticking around learning and helping where I can if its not minded????

Elite I
My Device: STORM 9550 Verizon <><

We are so glad you are findin this helpful!!!  I know I sure have and please hang out with us! We would love to have you here!!!

Have a wonderful week!

:smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: Nurse-Berry :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:

[ Edited ]

OK, last night I took out the media card and my phone was fine this morning.  However, now that my memory card is not in the phone I have experienced a new problem with memory.  So what do I do?  I need my memory, deleted things like the links I have found on here have said, but I seem to still be experiencing the problem therefore it seems I need that card. 

So what do I do?  If I put the card back in my system will do that weird thing with the voice dialing, if I don't I loose my memory....

Oh also, I went and added an email account on the phone, how do I delete it???

Thanks again you guys!

Whoever made up this site BRAVO!!!!!!

Message Edited by reenie31 on 11-12-2008 08:39 PM
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

just format the memory card.
then you can use it without making your device slow.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: