Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
tomasito
My Device: Bold 9700 OS v5.0.0.423 (Platform 5.1.0.116)
My Carrier: Telenor

No option to set up POP3 email on 9700

Hello. This is my first BlackBerry. It's not from the carrier, I bought it in the shop.It's unlocked by default and came with OS ver. 5.0.0.423 (Platform 5.1.0.116)

How can I set up my POP3 email on my new Bold 9700? According to manuals by going to Setup - Setup Wizard - Email setup, I should get option to add email. However on my 9700 there is only option for BB Enterprise Server account. The other one is not there... What can I do?

btw - it there any way to contact BB support? Or the company doesn't keep contact with no business customers?

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,845
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: No option to set up POP3 email on 9700

tomasito wrote:

According to manuals by going to Setup - Setup Wizard - Email setup, I should get option to add email. However on my 9700 there is only option for BB Enterprise Server account.

Do you have a BlackBerry Data Plan enabled on your account with your carrier or mobile provider?

You must, in order to get the RIM push email functions you are looking for, as well as addtional BlackBerry data services such as the internet browser, Facebook for BlackBerry, BlackBerry Messenger, and much more.

So, call your carrier and inquire about having the BlackBerry Data Plan added to your account.

tomasito wrote:

btw - it there any way to contact BB support? Or the company doesn't keep contact with no business customers?

Yes, there is, but direct it is a paid support, per incident option. All front-line BlackBerry device and OS support comes initially from the carrier. That's the way it's done. Issues they can't handle get escalated up to RIM level tech support.

But that doesn't even matter here. You need a BlackBerry Data Plan on your device. You get that from your mobile provider.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tomasito

Thank you for your answer.

I think my mobile provider never heard of BlackBerry :smileyhappy: As I said, I didn't get 9700 from mobile carrier, I bought it in the shop. In this case the service should be provided, in my opinion by RIM.

Anyway, on all other platforms e-mails work with any kind acces to internet - through mobile network or WiFi. I expect the same from BlackBerry. So explanation that BlackBerry nedds dedicatede BlackBerry data plan is just not enough. If it is really so, it should be cleary stated in all promotional materials: BlackBerry is not a smartphone, is a very special smartphone and to be able to use BlackBerry make sure your carrier is supporting it.

By the way - internet browser works as it should.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

tomasito wrote:

I think my mobile provider never heard of BlackBerry :smileyhappy: As I said, I didn't get 9700 from mobile carrier, I bought it in the shop. In this case the service should be provided, in my opinion by RIM.

Yep, but. Your "thinking" that doesn't make it so. RIM doesn't have towers and signals and all, so you have to have a local carrier.

RIM has partner carriers in over 180 countries. What country are you in?

http://worldwide.blackberry.com/#

tomasito wrote:

Anyway, on all other platforms e-mails work with any kind acces to internet - through mobile network or WiFi. I expect the same from BlackBerry. So explanation that BlackBerry nedds dedicatede BlackBerry data plan is just not enough. If it is really so, it should be cleary stated in all promotional materials: BlackBerry is not a smartphone, is a very special smartphone and to be able to use BlackBerry make sure your carrier is supporting it.

Sorry, the explanation is good enough. The fact that you don't accept it, that's your problem.

If it's not clear stated to your desire, AND your seller did not clearly state it so, AND you did not do the homework and research... well, you just need to get your money back.

Again, I'll be surprised if there is not a BlackBerry service provider in your country.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tomasito

I am in Norway using Telenor.

Show me please where on Bold 9700 pages is mentioned anything about dedicated data plan? I haven't seen it. But I have seen this:

Email Setup

Depending on your business and personal email requirements, you may choose from two options for setting up your email on your BlackBerry® smartphone:

BlackBerry Internet Bundle

Your BlackBerry smartphone allows you to send and receive email from up to 10 supported email accounts. Set up is simple. You can do it online at your computer or right from your smartphone....

...and then is the instruction. I can't follow it - I don't have the option on my phione.

Let's forget for a moment about the data plan.

How can I read e-mails using WiFi?

Please use plain text.
JSanders

tomasito wrote:

I am in Norway using Telenor.

Ding! There are three carriers in Norway which offer BlackBerry service.

1. Telenor
  2. Trigcom
  3. TDC

tomasito wrote:

Show me please where on Bold 9700 pages is mentioned anything about dedicated data plan? I haven't seen it. But I have seen this:

Email Setup

Depending on your business and personal email requirements, you may choose from two options for setting up your email on your BlackBerry® smartphone:

BlackBerry Internet Bundle

Your BlackBerry smartphone allows you to send and receive email from up to 10 supported email accounts. Set up is simple. You can do it online at your computer or right from your smartphone....

That, in red, IS the BlackBerry Data Plan you need. Also called BIS, or BlackBerry Internet Service. So I don't need to quote or show you, you've already found it.

tomasito wrote:

How can I read e-mails using WiFi?

Open your WiFi Hotspot browser and enter the URL of your email server and access your email from that browser.

Without THE BlackBerry Data Plan, you won't get RIM's push email.

Good luck.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tomasito

BlackBerry Internet Bundle can mean anything. I still don't see BB data plan.

My carrier is Telenor. It's what they say about it:

Dear Tomasz.

Telenor does not offer blackberry functions for private customers.

If you work for a company with a blackberry server connected to Telenor, please contact your it-department for further questions.

If you have any more queries, please do not hesitate to contact us again. (For further correspondences, please let history follow.)

Kind regards

Telenor 

Customer Service

Med vennlig hilsen

Pål Martin Hansen

kundeansvarlig

Telenor Norge

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

tomasito wrote:

BlackBerry Internet Bundle can mean anything. I still don't see BB data plan.

My carrier is Telenor. It's what they say about it:

Dear Tomasz.

Telenor does not offer blackberry functions for private customers.

There are two ways of subscribing to a BlackBerry plan. BES is specifically for companies (they have to install a BlackBerry server and have a partnership with a carrier, it's complicated). And other than BES, there is BIS. BIS is as well for private customers or for small companies.

Well guess what ? Tenenor does sell BIS plans. Proof is here:

http://www.telenor.com.pk/services/blackBerry.php

besides, once you have a BIS account, you can configure it here:

http://telenor-se.blackberry.com/

If I were you, I would simply contact the Telenor customer service without letting the history follow, and ask for a BIS plan with full data.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tomasito

As I said, Telenor in NORWAY does not have BIS. http://www.telenor.com.pk/services/blackBerry.php - that's Telenor in PAKISTAN http://telenor-se.blackberry.com/ - telenor-se - it's for Telenor in SWEDEN
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor II
FA1SGL
My Device: 9550 Storm2/Verizon

Whether or not your carrier of choice offers BIS service is beside the point.  To get PUSH email you will need BIS.  You can view your web mail but it will not be pushed to your 9700.

That you purchased a device without first determining whether or not it was supported by your carrier is not an issue with RIM or the shop (non carrier apparently) that you purchased it from.  The requirements were as you indicated  in your earlier post clearly specified. 

If Telnor doesn't offer BIS accounts your one viable option is to change carriers.

Наглый пес! Вы должны быть благодарны мы даем Вам возможность проживать в нашем мире!
BB 9550 Verizon OS 5.0.0.1015 My Storm My Blackberry My Lifeline
If there is a Theme on my Blackberry, Hedone it!
If someone successfully helped you with an issue, say thank you by clicking "kudos" in their post and clicking the star.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post that solved it for you!
Please use plain text.