Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm 2 9550
My Carrier: Orange Dominicana

Preventing phone use after security wipe

If an user loses his device and the password is entered wrong 10  times the device wipes itself and the password will be erased too so the phone could be used like new.

Is there any way to prevent security wipe from deleting the device password?*

Is there any way to disable security wipe? (Maybe finding and deleting the .cod file)

2 days ago my friend brought his 9700 for me to upgrade OS.

I used security wipe, then tried using BBSAK to wipe the OS and it asked for password.

Then I used AppLoder to install the new OS and it asked for password again.

Why didn't security wipe delete the device password this time?

Solutions: 6,112
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Preventing phone use after security wipe

KrlzGmz wrote:

Why didn't security wipe delete the device password this time?

Is his device a personal BlackBerry, or on a corporate BES account?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

JSanders wrote:

Is his device a personal BlackBerry, or on a corporate BES account?

It's a personal blackberry, and he's using the same plan/provider as me.

It's certainly odd. I don't know why.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

JSanders wrote:

It's certainly odd. I don't know why.

I found a way to raise the max attempts to atleast avoid the security wipe but it's an old method so I'm not sure I should try it yet.

Any ideas wil be greatly appreciated.

Contributor

Googling for a couple of hours now seems a IT policy is able to keep the password after the device have been wiped.

Is there any way I could get that policy without being in a BES contract?

I saw you can download a BES server but I don't think it could be set up and used by a regular user.
Contributor

To further elaborate on the idea I'll post what I found posted on RIM's support forum.

KermEd wrote:
How can I set my password to unlimited retries?  I do not want people I do not know, to walk away and 'wipe' and effectively now 'own' my phone just by typing my password wrong 10 times. 
I do use third-party GPS tracking software - because well... you neglected to add such a basic feature.  It's useless because wiping my phone wipes the software anyways.
 I do not want the password disabled - because then they can wipe the phone from the menu. 
How do I, as an end user, protect my 700 dollar investment when you do not provide me with the tools to do so? 
In addition - I did try my best. I even posted a fix for other users on this forum for 4.5 - how to change the configuration files from a backup to force it to 255 tries.  Which you promptly patched in the next release.  I tried to contact you (direct and through my provider), and even offered 10,000$ cash to your product developers to add the one toggle feature.  Only to receive nasty responses from you in return. 
As a new hobby - I have started intentionally getting everyones passwords wrong that I run into. Maybe after a few hundred people complain in my city about the feature the lazy dev team might decide to finally add a single option..

What if the device got into someone else's hands?  Would you like to give them unlimited amount of tries to get your personal information from it?

KrlzGmz wrote:
#1 - Blackberry claims the password data cannot be hacked, so no risk there,
#2 - Currently, they get it wrong twice and get to walk away and keep my 600 dollar phone,
#3 - It would take months and months of attempts to break my code
I think RIM is sadly mistaken if they believe these devices to be the tiniest bit secure. This is a basic function to set to unlimited on many other SMART phone manufacturers.
Its RIM's constant refusal to speak to customers that is resulting in their steady decline and what will be their inevitable bankruptcy. Plus - the months of trying gives me a chance to use my GPS locator.
Something else RIM never bothered to install. Its obvious they enjoy making money off people re-purchasing phones.
Speaking of which, did you know when you contact them with the MAC address for a stolen phone - something they track every second in their systems - they couldn't care less? Yeah, I want this feature so I can protect my phone the way RIM should have from day one.

So, whether on BIS or BES, that's the reason I asked this question earlier.

For your BIS device, it is working as designed.

KrlzGmz wrote:
I think RIM is sadly mistaken if they believe these devices to be the tiniest bit secure. This is a basic function to set to unlimited on many other SMART phone manufacturers.
Its RIM's constant refusal to speak to customers that is resulting in their steady decline and what will be their inevitable bankruptcy. Plus - the months of trying gives me a chance to use my GPS locator.
Something else RIM never bothered to install. Its obvious they enjoy making money off people re-purchasing phones.

1. It is the data and information which is secure, which for most users is more important than the device itself.
2. RIM's support model is to use it's mobile network carriers and retail sellers for handheld device support, warranty and software technical support. You call your carrier for assistance and if they cannot resolve the issue, it is escalated up to RIM level tech support (or you should ask for this escalation).
3. Install and use BlackBerry Protect. From there you can locate your lost or stolen device, remotely backup, remotely wipe and/or remotely send a message viewable on the homescreen to the device.
Like ANYthing else in life, it is not protectable to the Nth degree. What is it that you would prefer... after the X number of incorrect password attempts that the device self-destruct in good ol' "Mission Impossible" fashion?

Knowledge Base Updates

KrlzGmz wrote:
In addition - I did try my best. I even posted a fix for other users on this forum for 4.5 - how to change the configuration files from a backup to force it to 255 tries.  Which you promptly patched in the next release.  I tried to contact you (direct and through my provider), and even offered 10,000$ cash to your product developers to add the one toggle feature.  Only to receive nasty responses from you in return

Nasty responses from RIM? So you were able to be in touch with RIM personnel over the matter. That's cool, I thought you said you were not able to contact RIM.

KrlzGmz wrote:

As a new hobby - I have started intentionally getting everyones passwords wrong that I run into. Maybe after a few hundred people complain in my city about the feature the lazy dev team might decide to finally add a single option..

You're just a jewel, aren't you?

Knowledge Base Updates

KrlzGmz wrote:

Is there any way I could get that policy without being in a BES contract?

I saw you can download a BES server but I don't think it could be set up and used by a regular user.

Yes, the free personal version is called BESx.

http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/business/server/express/

Get BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express for free!

BlackBerry® Enterprise Server Express wirelessly synchronizes Microsoft® Exchange or IBM® Lotus® Domino® with BlackBerry smartphones.

It provides advanced BlackBerry smartphone business features with no software license fees or additional per user license fees, and works with most personal BlackBerry data plans or BlackBerry enterprise data plans.

Knowledge Base Updates