Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Luke_M
My Device: Curve 8520

Recovering my BBM profile

I bought a blackberry in the U.S., carried by Verizon, and used it there for some time before I moved to Nigeria. Verizon agreed to unlock the phone so I could use it here, but shortly after I arrived (in fact, before i had even bought a sim for it), the phone was stolen. It is now about 1.5 years later and i recently bought another blackberry here, which i have registered on MTN-Nigeria. I connected to the same email which I used on my former blackberry.

I was surprised to find that, when i opened BBM on my new device, I was immediately set up on someone else's profile. I have a bunch of contacts and a display name that i don't recognize.

I assume that this has to do with my old phone which was stolen previously. Unfortunately I don't really understand the connections, as i'm a bit confused about registering with Verizon, MTN, and Blackberry. I would like to completely wipe my old account and create a new one. I'll be grateful if anyone can tell me what to do to clean this up. Also, does this mean that the person using my old blackberry has had access to my email account through it?

Thanks in advance,

Luke

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Ronbob
My Device: Playbook 2.1/ Torch9860 OS7.1.0.746
My Carrier: Globe

Re: Recovering my BBM profile

Hello Luke_M

Welcome back to the Blackberry world and to the Community

Good to hear that your opted to have a Blackberry phone. To erase all data on the phone and put it back to its factory state, please read the Article below on how to do a Security Wipe.

How to delete all data and applications from the BlackBerry smartphone using the Security Wipe optio...

Goodluck and Enjoy

Ron

...........................................................................................................................................................
Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up :smileyhappy:

Blackberry Battery Saving Tips | Follow me on Twitter

Please use plain text.
Luke_M
My Device: Curve 8520

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your reply. I don't need to wipe my current blackberry, however. I want to ensure that whoever is using my old (stolen) blackberry does not have any more access to my email, BBM, or any other programs.

Regards,

Luke

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Ronbob
My Device: Playbook 2.1/ Torch9860 OS7.1.0.746
My Carrier: Globe

A BBM profile can only be used on one phone as a Blackberry ID. The contacts will be left on the old phone until the person activates a new profile. Same thing goes if you restore your Blackberry ID on your new phone, it will automatically erase the old one.

Ron
...........................................................................................................................................................
Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up :smileyhappy:

Blackberry Battery Saving Tips | Follow me on Twitter

Please use plain text.