Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
nowakr
My Device: Bold 9650

Reset BlackBerry mailbox to Exchange mailbox

I have users who has been deleting emails too quickly and the server wasn't configured to track permanently deleted emails (it is now).  Now their inbox is a mess and I want to sync it with the server and clean up all the emails that are no longer on the server mailbox.

They have a reset feature for the Contacts and the Calendar, so why not for Email?  Unless there is, but I have not found any way to do so.  I cannot do a wipe, because they have information and text messages that cannot be lost (and I'm not looking for way to back them up and then wipe).

I have tried removing the Desktop service books and reactivating, but that doesn't do it.  I have tried removing the service books, then deleting emails and reactivating, but that has negative results (the emails remain removed on the handheld).

Please help, thanks.

Ryan

BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express 5.0.1.4 (Build 5)

BlackBerry Box 9650

Verizon Wireless

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Reset BlackBerry mailbox to Exchange mailbox

[ Edited ]

nowakr wrote:

but that has negative results (the emails remain removed on the handheld).

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

I'm sorry, I'm a little confused. They remain removed on the HH? Isn't that what you are trying to accomplish? Let me restate what I read your post to be.

1. Hard Deletes was not active on the server
  2. In Outlook, the user moved emails from their inbox to other folders, bypassing Deleted Items
  3. This left those emails on the HH
  4. You want to remove those emails from the HH

Does that about sum it up? If so, then if what I quoted above is true, what is the problem now? I'm sure I'm not understanding.

Have you tried "Delete Prior" on the HH?

Let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
nowakr
My Device: Bold 9650

What I meant was that the emails that were permanently deleted (not put into other folders, but put into the deleted items folder and emptied, or shift-deleted), are the only ones I want removed from their handhelds.  When I removed the desktop server books, and then deleted some emails that were not permanently deleted, aka they are still in his inbox on his desktop,  they remained removed from the handheld once I reactivated.  So the handheld remembered that I deleted those emails.  So if I just delete all his emails (delete prior) on the handheld, none of the emails currently in the inbox will come back on reactivation.

My main question still remains, is there a way to reset the inbox, just like there are ways to reset the Calendar and Contacts?

Thanks for the response.  Hopefully this clears it up.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Well, sort of...with perhaps one clarification. By default, there is no configuration for a BB that is intended to replicate the users mailbox onto the BB. Rather, the default settings are to begin delivering, upon activation, newly arriving emails to the BB. Under BES, one can configure some settings to bring in some history, but those would have had to have been turned on prior. Further, from your description, it sounds like those were not activated. Consequently, rather than "the handheld remembered that I deleted those emails", it is more likely that the settings that would bring some old emails down were simply not activated.

Hence, the way to "reset" the on-device inbox is to remove the device from BES and stop delivery, delete (on the HH) all prior messages, and then re-activate to start delivery again. No old emails will come down unless those settings are active in BES. Actually, a cleaner method might be, rather than deleting prior, to do a WIPE on the HH while it is not activated on BES...likely will recover more AppMemory for the user. Then, upon re-activation, calendar and contacts will be re-synchronized and new emails will begin to deliver.

Hope that helps!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code