Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

rwa1709
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8520
My Carrier: t-mobile

Restoring suggested email folder on new device associated with new bes

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to work through a problem one of my users has with his blackberry. He's been subject to 2 changes, he's had a handset upgrade and his mailbox was moved between 2 exchange servers.

The user was upgraded from a blackberry 8520 version 6 os to a blackberry 9900 version 7. A full backup was taken of his old 8520 (using blackberry desktop) and his new 9900 was activated against BES. As part of this excercise his mailbox was exported from a legacy Exchange 2003 organisation and imported into a new Exchange 2010 organisation (there is no trust between the domains) and his new blackberry was activated on the bes in the new domain.

The user has subsequently reported that when he files emails, he is not getting prompted with a folder to file them into, he is having to find the folder each time. I've had a look at doing a selective restore but I can't see which database I would need to attempt to restore to get this back for him. I don't even know that a database restored from a version 6 wll work on a 7 or if it will work since his mailbox has been moved between BES's. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob Watson,.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
MAD-VIKING
My Device: BlackBerry Z-10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Restoring suggested email folder on new device associated with new bes

Hello rwa1709;

Welcome to the forums and thank you for your question.

Initially when you activate a user on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, it will note the mailbox folder structure and their corresponding ID’s so that it may “reconcile” when changes are being made.

If you have performed a mailbox move and did not remove the user from the BlackBerry Enterprise Server prior to this move, the information the BlackBerry Enterprise Server would have on the end user mailbox may still contain data form the previous mail server.

You may also want to check to see if the user account has folder redirection enabled and you are able to see the end user mailbox folder structure in the BlackBerry Administration Service web console and on the device.

If you are wishing to perform a selective restore, depending on the database you are restoring, you may wish to reactivate the user on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

Example:

A user gets activated on a new BlackBerry Enterprise Server with a new device

The user does not have any of the mail items that were on the previous device

The user would like the old messages and the new messages

The user does have a backup of the previous device

Resolution:

Remove the user and the user mail history from the BlackBerry Enterprise Server (completely removing the user from the BlackBerry Enterprise Server will allow “message prepopulation” to occur)

Restore the message database from the backup to the new device (this will contain the previous devices mail items)

Activate the user on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server (the BlackBerry Enterprise Server will recognize this as a new user\activation with a new device since the user was completely removed, the BlackBerry Enterprise Server has no information on this user. Therefore, “message prepopulation” will occur and append to the device message database new mail items from the end user mailbox. The amount of new mail items is dependent on the global setting you have allocated to message prepop on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server).

You will find the device database list below;

BlackBerry Device database list

Let us know if you have any further questions regarding this specific request.

BlackBerry Documents

BlackBerry Knowledgebase

MAD-VIKING
Please use plain text.