Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
ATDreyer
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: Unknown
Accepted Solution

Send e-mail settings to smartphone via service messages?

Good Day,

Is it possible to send e-mail settings to a blackberry phone via some form of service message so the phone user does not have to manually set it up?

We recently had to reinstall our Exchange server and are now having to change the e-mail settings on all our staff members phone's, however, some of these staff members are not in the same city as I.T. support and as the staff members are not very computer/smartphone literate, it will be difficult for us to walk them through on how to change the e-mail settings, especially if the autodiscovery does not report the settings correctly to the phone and the domain/server settings has to be entered manually.

One staff member in particular, has a Blackberry curve 9300.

Any suggestion's will be appreciated as we would prefer to, as well as in the future, be able to update the phones with the necissary settings by means of some form of service message rather than error prone manual intervention.

Regards

Andre T. Dreyer

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Send e-mail settings to smartphone via service messages?

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

You didn't quite mention...are you also running BES? Or are you facing OWA to the Internet and having your users integrate via BIS?

Thanks and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ATDreyer

Hi and thank you for the welcome.

The integration is via BIS.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

OK...then the answer is, well, maybe. It would require compromise of your security ethics.

One way to do what you desire is for you to log into the users BIS account on their carriers BIS website and configure the email account there...doing so would, of course, require you to know the users BIS credentials. Of course, this also would require that the carrier actually have such a website...not all do.

Another way would be to ring up the users carrier and impersonate the user, and have the carrier agent configure the email account.

If the employer provides the devices as well as the service plan to the user, then I suppose the security compromise required is less since, technically, both belong to the company, not the user. But, if these are BYOD devices and/or the carrier account does not belong to the employer, then you would be in essence hacking into the users account to accomplish this.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ATDreyer

That's perfect as the company do own the phone.

Thank you for the quick and to the point assistance, much appreciated.

Regards

Andre T. Dreyer

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

You are very welcome...good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.