Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

WillE
My Device: Not Specified

Sim cards and international travel

I currently use a Verizon Blackberry 8830 (CDMA) and I'm very happy with it.  I will be spending a few months living in Ireland beginning in September, and I need to figure out cell phone service while I am there.  I would like to use my Blackberry, but the option provided by Verizon is terribly expensive.  02 in Ireland offers a slightly more affordable option, but I was wondering: will my blackberry function with a regular cell phone sim card?  I'm happy to use the device only as a cell phone without internet/email access, but I'm not sure if this is possible.  I'd prefer to only use the cell phone service to save money while traveling.

Any responses are greatly appreciated!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
AndysFriendRed
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Sim cards and international travel

[ Edited ]

You can use a foreign carrier's SIM card in your VZW 8830 only if you get the 8830 unlocked.

You need to contact Verizon's global team, and explain your intentions.  They should be able to provide the unlocking code and instructions for you.

You will get phone and SMS service, but no BlackBerry Data Services.

Message Edited by AndysFriendRed on 08-06-2008 04:04 PM
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
bogomip
My Device: 8707g

Re: Sim cards and international travel

Most SIMs will give you adequate gprs speeds for using e-mail and Internet (via wap). If you want better speed, ask for a 3G SIM. I don't know about Ireland but I guess most countries in Europe now offers 3G sim cards for mobile phones also on cash plans with no subscription fees. You don't need the Blackberry Internet Service to check mail and use Internet; that dataplan will only give you the BB specific services, such as push e-mail. You can access your email anyway, via POP or by installing an application like mobile Gmail - excellent by the way. You can also install different web browsers, such as mobile Opera. You might have to fiddle with the data settings, but any operators help line should assist you with this easily.
Please use plain text.