Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
MinniMe
My Carrier: MTC Namibia
Accepted Solution

Text Message Retrieval

Good day, I received a text message on 5 Feb 13 which appears in my list with a little green envelope. I've set my phone to keep texts only for two weeks. Is there ANY way to retrieve this message before it disappears entirely? Pls let me know!

Kind regards

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Text Message Retrieval

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

I am confused, given what you've said (e.g., "before it disappears"), is not the message already gone from your BB? There is no "deleted items", "recycle bin", nor "trash" container on a BB...once deleted from the device, gone forever from the device.

In any event, the only way to retrieve items that are deleted is if you have a source from which to obtain them. That means having been, while the item was on the BB, conducting some backup procedures which would backup the item to BB Protect, your PC, or any other source you may be backing up to. If you were not, at that time, conducting any backups, then there is no source from which to retrieve the item, and it is gone for good.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
MinniMe
My Carrier: MTC Namibia

Thank you for your kind response! Text messages appear in the message list in full until a certain date, then only the contact appears with a date and a little green text box for about 6 weeks. The message I need is now right a the bottom of my list - so I suppose it will soon be gone forever. I do not back-up regularly, unfortunately :Innocent: - I do save those messages that I think need to be saved - but did not save this one, Murphy's Law!

Thanks anyway - and - good work!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Virmaline
My Carrier: Sprint

The green box usually indicates a draft you are composing (an email, a text, etc.) that you've stopped working on and will come back to. I saw this recently on a friend's Curve. He had a whole bunch of green icons next to many texts that were empty. I just assumed he was doing something wrong, like reading a text, maybe putting the cursor in the reply line when not intending to reply, and not closing it properly, saving it instead. I wonder if these were texts that had disappeared because they were older than 30 days (or whatever he has set for retaining messages)? You should change your setting to retain your messages longer. I'll have to check my friend's settings and see if that has anything to do with the green icons ...
Please use plain text.