Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Visitor
PK_Airtime
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

The charging source connected to your blackberry device cannot charge your battery

I have collected probably 15 different chargers the last couple of years that I use at various locations to charge my  Blackberry, iPhone, and a couple of Samsung Google Nexus Phones. 

That is every device other than the BlackBerry Bold 9900 and the Torch before that.  I get the familiar message "the charging source connected to your blackberry device cannot charge your battery", except when connected to RIM manufactured charger or fortunately the USB port on my laptop. 

How in the world can every phone other than RIM's Blackberry take a charge from the various power sources without problem.  I had the problem to some degree on the Torch, but figured RIM would catch on and get it fixed.  Now I have the new Bold 9900 and it does not even work on my trusted 12V car charger.  If 4 or 5 different devices work with multiple chargers and  the Bold 9900 does not work on any it has to be a RIM and BLACKBERRY problem.

Maybe the guys in Waterloo are just totally insulated from the rest of the world and only own BlackBerry phones with Blackberry chargers and believe there is not a problem.  At least it appear that way with this charger issue and several other issues, but I won't get deeper into that here.

Please, has anyone else experienced this issue?  Is there a solution other than getting rid of the BlackBerry phone? 

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

Re: The charging source connected to your blackberry device cannot charge your battery

Yes, there's a solution other than getting rid of your BlackBerry phone:  Get rid of the chargers that aren't working with it and land yourself a genuine BlackBerry charger, which will work.

I hope that helps you.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
jccruz64
My Device: Bold 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: The charging source connected to your blackberry device cannot charge your battery

I am having the same exact issue.
It would help to get a solution to this, but I doubt that RIM will come forward with one.
RIM wants us to buy their brand of accessories.

i thought all of these cell phone makers agreed on a standard.
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Ronbob
My Device: Playbook 2.1/ Torch9860 OS7.1.0.746
My Carrier: Globe

It is better or should we say "safer" to use a genuine Blackberry Charger. Even with other manufacturers, they advise using a charger of the same brand and if they all say "standard" there is always a disclaimer that other chargers may or may not work with it. Its pretty much better to have a genuine accessory as they were designed and engineered for the same brand.

Ron
...........................................................................................................................................................
Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up :smileyhappy:

Blackberry Battery Saving Tips | Follow me on Twitter

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dewey2u
My Carrier: AT&T

[ Edited ]

I'm having a similar issue.  I just purchased a charger that delivers 3.1 amps.  No, you didn't read that incorrectly.  I don't mean 310 mA, I mean 3.1 AMPS, and the 9900 won't accept it.

Someone suggested that the 9900 may be limiting it's ability to charge on the low side where current is insufficient (<750 mA), as well as the high side (max amount of current unknown), the latter being to prevent too fast of a charge that could damage the battery.

Wellllll.....

I'm an electrical engineer, and although I don't claim to know everything, and I do know it is true that you can burn stuff up by giving something too much current, I find it extremely unlikely that the 9900 doesn't have a charging circuit that is capable of limiting incoming current, so I find the hypothesis about the "high side current limit" highly improbable.

Most intelligent charging circuits (read: "anything in today's electronics") are made to use only the current they need.  True, in the case where current is not available it could be a problem, and refusing to charge MAY be a legitimate option.  (I say "may" because there is also a solution to this problem, but it relies on more components, and my guess is that RIM is trying to keep the production cost of the phone as cheap as possible).

However, there is a more sinister plot afoot I would surmise.  Some time ago, Dell started producing laptop computers that would only allow you to charge them using their chargers.  The charger sends a signal on the power cord that identifies itself to the computer, and only then will the computer begin charging.  This was to make sure the power supply was a genuine Dell charger, "having a high enough capacity to charge the computer's battery"...or was it? 

With the circuitry devoted to detecting the Dell genuine power supply, Dell could also have installed equally space-conserving and low cost circuitry to detect whether the required current was there - whether it was provided by a Dell charger or not.  Let's not forget that DC electricity doesn't come in different flavors, wherever it comes from.  Some is more cleanly supplied, but it's all converted to charged electrons in a battery - and batteries rarely care how dirty it is.

I'm guessing RIM is pulling the same trick here, solely so you'll buy their chargers and cables.  There's likely something about a Blackberry cable or charger, perhaps something very simple, that let's the 9900 and other BBerrys identify it as "one of their own".  RIM has done this for some time, I recall, as the older BBerrys with a mini USB cable would flat out tell you something about having to be a RIM charger.  Now the message is more vague, as if to point at power concerns, but don't let that fool you.  The real concern is profit.  It's a side benefit that the power supplied by a RIM produced charger is guaranteed to be sufficient, but it's not the primary driver of this functionality.

I'm surprised it continues to this day.  I think we're in an era where this kind of customer lock-in on accessories is generally met with much hostility.  I'm very disappointed myself, as along with multiple poor performance issues, the top being battery life, the 9900 is turning out to be quite a loser for me.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
newbtoo
My Device: Playbook & 8900
My Carrier: T-mobile

The Blackberry charging circuit is as usefull as those who almost run Blackberry to the ground.

It is unacceptable for Blackberry to reject non-Blackberry branded charger for many reasons.

(1) chargers are commodity and they are in the wall receptacles, cars, computers etc.

(2) nearly any charger has enough power to keep telephone alive when needed but Blackberry renders the telephone usless - this is unacceptable when you must have a telephone;

(3) excuse of protecting the power supply from being drained of too many ampers is as stupid as it get - I need the telephone even it means killing the power supply - which is highly unlikely.

Here is the bottom line: unless I can change the behaviour of my 9900 and any other backup BB telephone I have this will mean - BB will have lost yet another client. Those who do not like my promiss can remain mute.

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

newbtoo wrote:

. Those who do not like my promiss can remain mute.

I choose to not remain mute.

BlackBerry includes a charger with each phone purchased.  The charger works with that phone.  If the charger doesn't work, you're not using the charger that was provided with that phone, so go out and get the exact same charger that was provided with that phone and it will work.

Maybe I'm missing something here?  If so, please elaborate.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
newbtoo
My Device: Playbook & 8900
My Carrier: T-mobile

Thank you for your answer.

It is illegal in the EU to sell telephones that do not charge from the universal USB charger.

There is a several valid reasons for that other than anti-EU paranoia in the USA.

The charger is just a charger and there is no reason for BB to hardware lock their telephones from accepting other chargers.

Simple - my telephone - my choice!

Please use plain text.
rsiverts
My Carrier: AT&T

I am using a BB charger (USB cord that plugs into the little black plug that plugs into the wall).  It has worked for 9 months.  SUDDENLY, it no longer charges.  The USB BB cord plugged into my home computer where my BB desktop software resides, charges fine.  That same plug plugged into my office computer does not charge.  This makes no sense to me. 

Not working after it always worked is particularly troubling.

Robin

Please use plain text.