Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Regular Contributor
lorax1284
My Device: Passport

TrackPad not working unless "Diagnostic Tests" app running in background

[ Edited ]

My Torch 9810 TrackPad stopped working... I had downloaded the BlackBerry 7 OS free apps including those that provide "notifications" and "text to speech" and "speech recognition" capabilities that I don't mind having to fool around with, but I don't want to use all the time... they tend to take over buttons and configuration too much, so in my efforts to remove them or at LEAST get them to stop activating every time my BB moves in my pocket I was uninstalling things. I was told I had to reboot the device, and after doing so, the trackpad would not work.

So I go back and restore my backup... and the trackpad works... briefly: all the restored apps start asking for permissions etc. and run their configuration wizards whatever and then the trackpad stopped working again.

I've tried restoring AGAIN and have even downgraded the OS to get back to a "more stable" configuration with NO third-party software installed and no luck.

At this point, the trackpad does NOT work at all in any apps. I'm sure this is a software-related problem and not that the trackpad itself is broken and needs replacement.

I've used BBSAK to try to lobotomize it back to total "factory default" but that didn't work either.

I want to rule out a hardware failure (I'm SURE this is just software related, because it happened after a reboot and there had been no problems prior to this) So today I visit the BlackBerry.com website and search for "trackpad"
I get "trackpad not working" as the first result.

"TrackPad Not Working" KB article

At the very bottom of the page is a link to the "Device Self Test Application" instructions at:

"Diagnostic Self Tests" KB Article

So as soon as I start in with the Diagnostic Self Test app, it asks "Do you want a guided setup" and shows "Yes" and "No" buttons. Instinctively I try to use the TrackPad to navigate to "No" because I just want the trackpad diagnostic, and... the trackpad works.

I exit the "Diagnostic" app and go back to my home screen and it works again... briefly...

I re-enter the diagnostic app, the trackpad works, then I long-press the Menu key to go to different apps, and the trackpad continues to work.

So, it seems like keeping the 'Diagnostic Self Test' app running in the background is 'propping up' the TrackPad so it works, but when I exit the Diagnostic app, it stops working.

Also, the back of the device seems warmer than usual, as if the CPU is being driven hard.

I'm wondering if some rogue app might be crippling the TrackPad? And the Diagnostic Self Test app is somehow pushing the rogue app aside but the rogue app is "waiting as hard as it can" and driving the CPU hard?

Yeah, I'm grasping / speculating / making stuff up, but maybe someone can decipher what I'm saying and give me some clues?

If there's a "end user totally restore the firmware to a factory configuration" that will likely resolve this issue, I'm capable enough to try it rather than be without the trackpad (or the device being repaired under warranty) for days.

Regular Contributor
lorax1284
My Device: Passport

Re: TrackPad not working unless "Diagnostic Tests" app running in background

[ Edited ]

Note: I decided to try exiting the Diagnostic Self Test app to see if the TrackPad would stop working... or if using a specific app made it stop working... and after doing so, then rebooting etc. the TrackPad has now been working for many hours: dare I try to reinstall some of the apps I removed?