Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Q10

Re: Unlocking your BlackBerry Guide

Hey JSanders. I tried it and I got an email saying, that they are unable to calculate an unlock code for me.! Is there any other way I can unlock my phone? Its a Q10 and its locked to T-Mobile USA.

Solutions: 6,096
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

@clemensbeer You got an email from Tmobile, or who?

>> ALSO: You have your mobile phone number listed as your "My Mobile Provider" or carrier. Putting your phone number out on the internet on these public forums for the world to see, is not wise. To change that, at the top of this page click on My Settings > Personal Profile > Personal Information, and in the entry block for "Carrier" type the name of your mobile provider.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Q10

Hey,

Thanks for the hint about the phone number. I will change that, although its not even my actual number :smileyhappy:

No, sadly I got an e-mail from the Unlock-Service you recommended.

BerryReview Unlocking:

"We regret to inform you that we can not calculate your unlock code. We apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused. Rest assured we will go ahead and refund your funds to your original payment source. Refunds can take up to three business days. "

Apparently T-Mobile cannot provide me with an unlock code that works, Blackberry has basically no support whatsoever and even your recommended website does not work. I have no idea what to do now. My blackberry is basically useless.

Try this unlocking service...

http://cellunlocker.net/blackberry-unlock.php

I don't know why the BerryReview unlock didn't work... they said they could not calculate your unlock code meaning *perhaps* your didn't have a valid IMEI or something else.

If you get a similar response from this other service, you may know you have some other issue. Did you buy the device from Tmobile USA, eBay or what?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
My Device: Curve 9300

Hi JSanders: Thanks for providing such a useful service. (y)

I've read through the posts here and I'm stll not quite sure about the state of my own 9300, or of how the phones get locked in the first place.

My case may be unusual, in that, my phone crashed with a JRE error a few months back and I had to do a forced reset via the Desktop in the case that the Desktop programme could not 'see' the phone, but could still force a reinstall.  This may have changed some of the factory settings, which could possibly include its locked/unlocked status.

I had understood that the phone was locked to virgin (and am waitng for an unlock code), but when I came across this thread, I thought I'd check the sim using your MEPD instructions.

When I first did this, there was nothing written next to the 'sim' entry; nothing written next to the 'network' entry; and subset, provider and corporate were all disabled.

Curiously, after I had backed out of this screen, and then opened it again later, I did not need to enter 'MEPD', as the menu was already open when I clicked on sim.  (Restarting the phone cleared the open 'hidden' menu again).

However, the menu now reads:  sim: disabled; network: active; subset: disabled; provider: disabled; corporate: disabled.

I notice that jw2k_fr, above, gave a list with the same settings, which he thought was unlocked, so I am now rather puzzled as to what is the real state of my phone!

By the way that the menu changed from no entry beside sim or network, to sim: disabled; network: active, after I entered MEPD the first time, it rather looks as if the phone is actually locked to the sim in the first place, by entering MEPD the first time.  Is this the case?  If it is, then perhaps we should not be entering 'MEPD' and looking at the hidden menu, before we've actually tried to use the phone with a different sim.

Am I right?  Can you tell me whether my phone is locked or not?  And how are the phones locked in the first place?
(I could go further and ask why locking is even allowed, as its only purpose seems to be to provide a market for unlockers; and why there can't simply be look up tables on a website somewhere?)

Tanks once again, for maintaining such a good thread.

Spamlet wrote:

1. Can you tell me whether my phone is locked or not? 

2. And how are the phones locked in the first place?
3. (I could go further and ask why locking is even allowed, as its only purpose seems to be to provide a market for unlockers; and why there can't simply be look up tables on a website somewhere?)

Tanks once again, for maintaining such a good thread.

1. It would appear to me from your description that it is indeed locked.

2. I don't know how, I suppose via coding in the factory per the mobile provider specification.

3. Why... because when one purchases a mobile phone the cost is normally reduced or subsidized by the carrier, giving the purchaser a discount on the total amount, and then the mobile provider via locking the device to their network keeps you from walking away to another carrier. I know it is EU regulations now to not sell locked devices. That varies from country to to country,

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Thanks JS,

I was wondering if you knew whether it is entering MEPD that actually locks the phone to sim.  As, when the hidden panel first opened nothing was written against either sim or network, but when the panel was reopened it said, sim disabled, network active.

Also whether reinstalling the operating system after the phone died had actually unlocked it, until I entered that MEPD.

I've not heard from the 'free' phone unlocking co yet, so I guess they are hanging out for a payment: my phone contract runs out tomorrow.

I think I'll probably upgrade to an unlocked Q10, and just use my Curve as a standby in future.  I was getting fed up with the 9300 forvertelling me 'this web page is too big to load' in any case.

Cheers (y)

Spamlet wrote:

Thanks JS,

I was wondering if you knew whether it is entering MEPD that actually locks the phone to sim.  As, when the hidden panel first opened nothing was written against either sim or network, but when the panel was reopened it said, sim disabled, network active.

Also whether reinstalling the operating system after the phone died had actually unlocked it, until I entered that MEPD.

No, once a device is unlocked, it is permanently unlocked. It cannot be re-locked.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Many thanks again JS.

I've now unlocked the phone and am part way through transferring from virgin to giffgaff.  Unfortunately it was not made clear, in the giffgaff pages leading up to the new contract, that BlackBerry Services were required,to get internet access and email.  I had thought these Services were refering to BB Messenger, which I have never used, and don't even know what it's for, so I opted for one of their 'goody bags', without selecting Blackberry Services at the same time, and it now looks like I'm going to be without internet and email for a month!  Beginning to think I should have stayed with virgin!

(My Firefox page rendering has just gone to pot since using the giffgaff site too.  I started getting a banner at the top of these forum pages telling me to 'turn off internet explorer compatibility setting', and most of the BB site formatting was gone.  And I don't even use IE!  It clears when I disable all my add ons, so I guess something corrupted one of them, and I'm having to reload them one at a time.  And all this was supposed to be a simple sim switch.  :smileyhappy: )

Have taken the opportunity to order a Q10...

Cheers for your handy thread.

S

Good luck, post back if you need further information.

Knowledge Base Updates