Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
bbowner
My Device: Black Berry World 8830
Accepted Solution

Upgrade OS on phone

How do I upgrade my operating system on the phone?

I have a new Black Berry World 8830 and it is version 4.2 - but I notice there is a version 4.5 out. I am with Telus Mobility here in Canada, and I know to look on their web site for the program - but they only have a version 4.2 out.

Does anyone know when Telus will offer a higher BB World o/s ? And when it comes out - how do I upgrade? Can I back all programs & Files first - or will the up-grade automatically keep everything as is, and just upgrade the o/s?

Please use plain text.
Elite II
tanzim
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Re: Upgrade OS on phone

Check the below -

Step #1

Before starting make sure that BlackBerry Desktop Software is installed on the computer.

Step#2

Make sure that you have installed updated device software installed in your PC. Check this link to get update device software from carrier OS download site.

Step#3

Users can perform a full or selective backup of the data using the Backup and Restore tool in BlackBerry Desktop Manager by completing the following steps:

1. Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer running BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
  2. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
  3. Double-click Backup and Restore.
  4. Select Backup to perform a full backup or select Advanced to perform a backup of specific databases.
  5. Choose a location to save the backup file, then click Save.

Step#4

To perform a clean install of the BlackBerry Device Software, perform the following steps:

1. Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to the computer and open BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
  2. Double-click the Application Loader icon.
  3. Click Next to start the installation process.
  4. Type your BlackBerry smartphone password, if prompted, and click OK.
  5. Click the check boxes next to the names of the applications you want to load, and then click Next.
  6. Click Advanced, and then click the check box beside Erase all currently installed applications.
  7. Click Next.
  8. Click the check box next to Do not automatically backup the application data during the loading process.
  9. Clear the box next to Backup and restore applications installed wirelessly.
  10. Click Next > Finish.
  11. When the process has completed, the message The loading operation was successful will appear. Click Close to return to BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bbowner

Thanks very much Tanzim for the detailed instructions - this will help a great deal....

but first, do you know when Telus Mobility (in Canada) will offer the 4.5 version for my phone?

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

bbowner wrote:
but first, do you know when Telus Mobility (in Canada) will offer the 4.5 version for my phone?
Hello,

planning depends on carriers, they all have the OS from Blackberry by now. Please read :
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=8300&thread.id=6807

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
bbowner

OK, thanks for that - will keep an eye out for Telus Mobility; but currently they only have OS 4.2 out.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

apart from maybe 10 carriers worldwide, it's 4.2.2 everywhere.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
veramiga
My Device: Not Specified

Hey Tanzim,

Im having problem with my devise, I followed your intructions and there is something odd that I found when I was updating my device software, the program showed me that my device was a blackberry 7000 series and that was runnig with the latest software, Im having a BB 8310 and no way that Im having a BB 7000 series.

Thanks in advance for your answer

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pandays

I have a similar problem as is been discussed. My BB (8100 Pearl) suddenly has gone into a mode wherein it automatically keeps alternating by switching On, failing to boot and then going on to shutting down with the right corner red LED blinking. For as long as the battery is not pulled out, this cyclical mode of On-OFF continues. I have tried following your advise, have downloaded the OS for this device, but on reaching the step 4 of your suggestion, ie after the application Loader icon is double pressed and my devices communication port is detected by the computer, when I press the "Next" Button, the device immediately shuts down. I have tried many times but am not able to proceed beyond this stage. Any help that you can provide.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
craigdgevans

i have the same problem, my blackberry simply will not boot and just keeps turning itself off and on again, with the red led on and the white screen with the clock. How did you fix this?! Im supposed to be going away tomorrow and resetting doesnt seem to help :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Please use plain text.