Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9930

Vote for free BIS!

Dear RIM,

My mobile operator is Page Plus Cellular (mvno operator on Verizon Wireless network).

I have Internet access, but they do not offer Blackberry service. I was able to make Browser and Google Maps work on my BB Bold 9930, but the non-BIS email applications are of a very poor quality and make the battery life (and mine) absolutely miserable.

I've tried to get my phone registered on Verizon BIS server, but they denied.

I like Blackberry, but I will trade it for Android (or IPhone) if I don't get a good email solution without paying twice of my current rate. I heard there are may people that have switched or are ready to give up on Blackberry, because they will not pay extra for BIS.

If you want to keep your loyal customers, please open a free registration on your BIS service!

Thanks,

-Mike.

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Vote for free BIS!

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

First off...community...this site is not a channel for any formal communications with RIM. So, don't expect that they will see this and certainly don't expect any formal reply. Rather, this site is a user-to-user community of volunteers trying to help each other out as best they can.

Second...RIM sets nothing in regards to specific data plan pricing. But, to use those proprietary BB-only services requires that RIM and the carriers host infrastructure (e.g., servers, etc.) that are solely for the benefit of their BB customers...those on other types of platforms do not use this proprietary infrastructure.

So, basically, they would have two possible solutions I can see to achieve what you propose:

1) They spread that BB-proprietary extra cost across all of their customers, likely raising rates to existing non-BB customers while dropping rates to their BB customers.

2) They provide all of that BB proprietary infrastructure out of their profit margins, charging BB customers no extra fee for the infrastructure that only the BB customers have use of.

If they did that, imagine the backlash!

1) If they spread across all customers, their non-BB customers would be quite angry I'd think. iPhone user: "Why do I now have to pay extra to support those dastardly BB users? I say drop BB's completely and return my data plan to what it was before!"

2) If they consume profit to host BB services, imagine the backlash from their shareholders! Shareholder: "You dropped a perfectly functioning revenue model and absorbed the costs purely from profits, which affects my stock dividends? Are you crazy?"

All in all, charging a group of users an extra fee for the infrastructure that only that specific group uses does not seem all that unreasonable to me. Not cheap, I realize (and trust me, I feel that pain!)...but also not an unreasonable approach to the situation.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9930

You are funny guy!
Research In Motion has lost 95 percent of its market value since 2008. Their choice is: sell new devices and hope users will like them, or lose their current customers and never get new. The company is in the biggest trouble.
So, make the service available (and affordable), or.. bye-bye BB! :-)
Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Not funny at all...pragmatic. Your solution requires RIM to dictate to the carriers how to price their data plans...remember, RIM sells nothing to end users. Further, you declare only one single solution to be the salvation of RIM...I'm hopeful that they have range of things in their plans.

Or, perhaps you are only speaking for yourself? You want a BB proprietary data plan for free? Good luck convincing your carrier to do that!

Further, while they indeed have lost ~95% of their market value (as defined by stock price), they certainly have not lost that quantity of market share. Each analyst picks the numbers that matter to them. Just look back at Apple...they were absolutely said to be "done for" in the early 2000's, with a stock price as pitiful as it gets and nearly out of cash...now, a different story indeed! Will RIM be the next Apple? If I could predict things like that, I'd be a very wealthy investor indeed!

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Developer
My Device: blackberry 9000

BIS真是太贵了。应该分级制。
New Developer

哦。这就是俗语说的,我说一句,你有十句在那里等着。
New Developer

言辞很犀利,啊
New Developer

RIM还是非常牛逼的,在大众媒体上看到的只是一部分,商业客户永远是稳定的客户群体。
New Developer
My Device: 9520 Storm2

Dear Community,

Thats very true that the operator actually loot their own subscribers for BIS service. In India atleast, its miserable.

RIM, has to come forward and should do something about it.

Thanks & Regards,

Satej

New Developer
My Device: 9520 Storm2

Please let me know if there is any alternative to the BIS services or the same service at much economical price.