Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

GenBaby
My Device: Curve 9330
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Accepted Solution

What are the advantages to using Pin to Pin and BBM?

I haven't used BBM yet, but have been composing and sending messages Pin-to-Pin (peer-to-peer). Is that the same thing as using the BBM and what are the advantages of each? Are they better than just texting?  Would appreciate an explanation, because I'm confused!  Thanks!!

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: What are the advantages to using Pin to Pin and BBM?

BBM and PIN messages are messages sent from one BlackBerry to another.  The message is composed by the sender and goes through RIM's secure server before being delivered to the recipient.  They are only available to BlackBerry users.

The thing I like about them is how you can see if they've been received by the recipient.  Once the message reaches the recipient's phone, you'll notice a small 'D' at the start of your message.  This means it's been delivered.  When the recipient opens the message, that 'D' will switch to an 'R', for 'read'.  So now you know that it's actually been received by the recipient.

One more great thing about these messages is that there is no limit to length.  As you're probably aware, most carriers limit text messages to 160 characters; not so with these messages, they can be much longer.

BBM and PIN messages are the same type of message, but with PIN messages you're limited to just that one contact receiving it.  With BBM, you can have many contacts in on a chat or you can broadcast a message to many contacts at once.

I hope that explains things for you.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
GenBaby
My Device: Curve 9330
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks Bill! Your explanation is helpful! Since I don't have a lot of friends with a BB, I will probably use the PIN messaging more.
Please use plain text.
Harlemite
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Tele2

And I thank you nearly 2 1/2 years later! :Yes:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
chanson01
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Virgin

Your answer to the question only came in the last paragraph! Why not just get to the point at the outset?

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Because I didn't feel like it.

These are Support Forums...how about asking a support-related question?

Cheers. :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.