Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
davidhague
My Device: blackberry curve 8320
My Carrier: virgin

What is a rem file ?? why does my blackberry create rem files out from my camera instead of a usual jpg ?

my blackberry keeps on turning my photo and video files into rem files instead of jpg or mpeg video files, i cannot change these setting ?

please advise.

PS - how do i open the rem files that the blackberry has already created out of my photo files _ i have no software that will lopen any of them ??

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,894
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: What is a rem file ?? why does my blackberry create rem files out from my camera instead of a usual jpg ?

The .rem extension is placed on media files when you have enabled encryption on the media card.

Article ID: KB12999 How to encrypt files on an installed media card in the BlackBerry smartphone

Article ID: KB22577 Encrypted files on a media card are able to be copied off of the media card in a decrypted state and can be viewed

Article ID: KB11454 Encrypted files stored on the microSD media card appear as .rem files

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.