Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
hsumudupriya
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9700 with BlackBerry OS 6.0
My Carrier: Student

Why do we want a cellular network with a special service plan to connect to the internet via a BlackBerry smartphone?

:Helpsmilie: I always wondered why we need a cellular network with a special service plan to connect to the internet via a BlackBerry smartphone? :smileysurprised: This problem is not occuring on smartphones of other brands. Can anyone please explain this to me? :Balloon:

Hasanta
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Why do we want a cellular network with a special service plan to connect to the internet via a BlackBerry smartphone?

Hello,

The reason is that, with legacy (e.g., pre-BB10) devices, the device itself does not do all of the work to provide you with your services. Rather, there is infrastructure (BlackBerry Internet Service - BIS) hosted at the carriers/BlackBerry that provides linkages between your device and certain services. This includes, among many things, email...unlike non-BB smartphones, the BlackBerry on-device email client is not a "full" email client; it depends on BIS in order to provide the "push" email capability that BBs rely on.

This BIS infrastructure is unique to BlackBerry, and only services BB users. Hence, it costs extra for the carriers to provide services for BB users, and therefore they can demand from their BB users a higher cost dedicated service plan so as to enable those proprietary services for the BB users. (In some markets, there is no extra charge for BIS...but the requirement for BIS nevertheless remains in all markets for legacy BB users.)

So, this is not a "problem" per se...but rather a difference between BlackBerry devices/services and others. One could instead think of it as a "market discriminator", favoring BlackBerry (only for those who desire such, of course).

With BB10 (Z10, Q10, Q5), BIS has been eliminated btw.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
akafudge
My Device: None
My Carrier: o2

Re: Why do we want a cellular network with a special service plan to connect to the internet via a BlackBerry smartphone?

Hello sdgardne, this is very interesting news that I have only just picked up on. For many years I have been put off BB devices solely because I could not get email without having to subscribe to BIS. For those like me that get a work sim card which, can be used in any device, this has always been a limiting factor as I could never add BIS to my 'work' account.

Just to clarify, is it really true that for BB10 devices, they now act like any other android or windows phone device such that I can simply pop in my sim card and connect to gmail or any other email pop/imap service?

If this is true, I can see myself with a Q5 very shortly as I desperately miss a physical keyboard!

Many thanks. 

Jonathan

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hello,

akafudge wrote:

Just to clarify, is it really true that for BB10 devices, they now act like any other android or windows phone device such that I can simply pop in my sim card and connect to gmail or any other email pop/imap service?

It is indeed true. BB10 devices do not use BIS, and require only generic data plans, similar to other non-BB smartphone devices.

Enjoy your Q5!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.