Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
odbermb
My Device: 9900

Why would it take for Blackberry to lunge to the head of the cellphone market?

Blackberry is traditionally seen as a "business phone." This makes the eye of many a potential customer skip  right over when selecting a new cellphone. Blackberry needs to reinvent itself as EVERYONES favorite phone. How can it do this? By incorporating features that no other phone has but every cell phone user wants and making it known.. BLACKBERRY has "it."

For example, what is the one thing that all users despise in common? OVERAGES on their bills!! Don't you? Overages can cost you HUNDREDS of dollars extra per month even on the best of plans. So the question for the company that wants to blow away its competition on this score is obvious, what can you do to a cell phone that would help eliminate overages?

***DEDICATED SMARTBUTTONS attached to accurate measuring tools thats what, in combination with smart alerts tied to usage.

Example of a smartbutton?
A tiny  bead of a button that when you press it, instantly displays onscreen how much data/ daytime min or roaming talk time/data your phone has downloaded since your last billing date (the phone would recognize your billing date.) Why is THIS button significant? Because it is extremely common to go over with minutes and data. Most users do not watch this closely and it often costs them an added $20 - $200 / month. Having a dedicated button on the face to watch this, would be money in their pocket.

Another smartbutton that would ingratiate users would be one that toggles the phone from wifi to celluar data usage or both so that users are left with no doubt as to which state their phone is in at any given time. It is extremely common for users to use celluar data when they think they are using wifi, this driving their bills up ENORMOUSLY and jeapordizing their customer experience.

A usage settings smartbutton bead might produce data/daytime talk time/roaming voice data (calculated separately) limit settings that would trigger audio/visual/vibration alerts. So that individuals could easily modify the same to fit their current plan.  

These three buttons along with such easy/obvious access could put even the most non techy user in total control of their monthly usage saving hundreds of dollars monthly. Would you want this in your smartphone? Of course you would ..the first time you got bitten by an unexpected overage. Do other phones already have this? NO.. somewhere buried in settings where only techies dare to delve it MIGHT.. but its not user freindly as many a persons monthly bill will assure you.

Other minor tips?
- a single speedcall smartbutton users could dedicate to a single ctn of the customers choice
- a BB wishlist smartbutton that sends input text directly to a bb developers forum, this would give BB the cutting edge on what customers want in the product they'd prefer to buy, the input would not produce a reply , and could be sorted by algorythims to turn the aggregate information into statistical preferences driving development to increase sales astronomically
- how about an embedded high quality visual recognition system that can be used with both personally constructed data bases, and a central cloud database (downloadable) that pairs visually recognized objects (gathered via the phones onboard camera) with the information provided on the object from the database? Flora to fauna to cars to everything.. this would give BB phones an advanced "star trek technology" edge that is sure to grow by leaps and bounds.

Why flounder trying to follow the pack, when you can lead and have them choke in your dust?

The way to a consumers heart is through their wallet, and smartbuttons that let consumers control their usage are the key.

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

Re: Why would it take for Blackberry to lunge to the head of the cellphone market?

Your ideas are good ones.  BlackBerry will not introduce such a "smart button" as you describe because there are already apps available that tell you how much voice/data time you've used.  While they're not directly attached to a button, they exist and to add an extra button for that purpose is redundant.  

As for your phone using either network data or Wi-Fi, your phone will instinctively switch to its Wi-Fi connection anytime a good Wi-Fi signal is available.  I leave my Z10's Wi-Fi on 24/7 and every time I walk into my house, I'm connected to Wi-Fi automatically.  There used to be an app available from S4BB that would turn on my Wi-Fi every time I stepped within range of any Wi-Fi hotspot I had saved and would turn it off when I stepped out of range.  I'm currently harrassing them to bring back this app to BB10 phones.

To touch on another of your points, most BlackBerry phones have Speed Dial so to assign an extra button for one of your contacts would be futile.

Contrary to one of your ending points, BlackBerry has not floundered by trying to follow others, they have flourished in the past few years by marching to their own drum (i.e. BBM, security, data compression, etc.).  One reason the company is not leading the smartphone parade is, in my opinion, due to so much negative press that people read and hear and are influenced by.  Once the company goes private (still pending) and doesn't have to report anything involving its financials and day-to-day operations, I think the smartphone landscape will change drastically in the coming years.  If you don't believe me, pick up a Z10 and compare it to "the other guys".

Thank you for your comments.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
odbermb
My Device: 9900

Re: Why would it take for Blackberry to lunge to the head of the cellphone market?

If you say so however I work for a major cell service provider and I got this information by asking customers what they want. If they are wrong and you are right? So be it and good luck with that.

:smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

I can only assume that BlackBerry did its share of polling to see what people wanted.  I won't argue that your results are correct from the people whom you asked but BlackBerry's market research would have been more far-reaching and would have encompassed many more people.  A large company like BlackBerry wouldn't just jump on something without a LOT of research beforehand.

Cheers.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.