Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
jrmgilbert
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile

WiFi Hotspot - Device to Device ("Routing")

Good day all,

I've been a loyal Blackberry customer for years and will stand by RIM and their products and am delighted at the stream of innovation we have seen and am unbelievably excited for BB10 (when I will pass my 9900 (my favourite BB to date) along to someone who needs a BB pickme up. 

The question (or potentially suggestion) I have revolves around the Wi-Fi hotspot feature that we were given with the 7.1 OS update.  While I find WiFi hotspot very useful, and use it on a daily basis, I've had issues with having other devices talk to one another over the hotspot.  In my Hotspot options I have the option on to allow devices to talk to one another, yet I can't seem to do that.  I'm attempting to transfer files off of my Playbook to my laptop and vice versa over the WIFI connection without plugging the device in with a USB cable.  I've looked at the IP address assigned to the Playbook in the network settings, and have tried to browse to this location on the laptop with no success.  I use the same method when connected to a "conventional" router to access the playbook's shared media with no problems.  Is this a current limitation of the Wifi Hotspot or is there something else I should try?  Also, if there are any RIM Developers browsing this form, the ability to use WIFI hotspot to connect devices for transfer in this fashion, even when there is not a mobile network signal available would be very advantageous.  I have a Mobile office in my vehicle, and the Wifi Hotspot connectivity allows my vehicle to function as complete as my brick and mortar desk office (aside from the issue mentioned above).

If anyone could chime in on this it'd be greatly appreciated.  And BB Admin, keep up the good work, pumped to see all the goodies you have for us in a few short weeks.

Jesse

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

Re: WiFi Hotspot - Device to Device ("Routing")

you can read the two articles below, from the public knowledge base:

KB31857 How to setup and manage a Mobile Hotspot Connection

KB33009 Mobile Hotspot Security Features

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jrmgilbert

Thanks for the reply but I've already reviewed those articles, and reviewed them again to confirm they didn't have the information I was after.  Unfortunately they don't address my specific question and I'm thinking it may not be currently available.  I'll keep digging, or hope a developer stumbles upon this and perhaps raises it as a upcoming feature.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

did you see the "Don't allow any more devices to connect" feature in one of those articles?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jrmgilbert

[ Edited ]

I did, however that wasn't related to my question in any fashion, and that option is very noticable when you goto Wifi Hotspot options.  My question doesn't stem from limiting additional devices from connecting as I have adequate security settings on my Hotspot and have no fear of devices other than my own connecting.  As I mentioned before, I have reviewed the knowledge bases, have performed research and do consider myself a very knowledgeable Blackberry user but turned to the forums when I hit a road block, otherwise I wouldn't wait in hopes of a response to an answer that I could easily obtain on my own.

My question was regarding using the Wifi Hotspot to transfer files from my laptop to my playbook and vice versa via Windows explorer for example much like you would do over a conventional network.  Currently when on my home or business network connection I can obtain the cross platform file browsing, but cannot over the Wifi Hotspot.  I was hoping that I had some how over looked a small item, perhaps on the computer, and that this feature was available (al bit I have yet to locate, hence my post here) or that they would come down the pipe in the future allowing the Wifi Hotspot to emulate a conventional network allowing full device interconnectivity. 

Please use plain text.