Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

WiFi Security

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about WiFi Security. 

I have a customer who regularly uses WiFi to connect to the internet when abroad to send and receive e-mails to avoid expensive roaming charges. 

They are concerned that somebody with access to the WiFi network could attach to their device and access their data. 

A. Is this even remotely possible? I am not aware that their are any file sharing options on the device (at least until version 5) but would like to make certain. 

B. If so what can be done to prevent this? e.g. on my laptop I use a Firewall to restrict access. 

c. Would it be advisable to encrypt data on the device? can you encrypt data on the SD Card?

Thank You

David
BES 10.2
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: WiFi Security

hello,

RIM has received year after year congratulations from lots of expert about security. I believe Wi-Fi is included in all that.

you can read official information about Wi-Fi here :
http://na.blackberry.com/eng/ataglance/networks/WiFiCellularWhitepaper.pdf

A) from what I understand, Wi-Fi security only depends on the quality of the private key you use to connect your two Wi-Fi devices (the laptop and the BlackBerry device, for example).
Use a WEP key, and any 12 year old kid can crack it in 5 minutes after a 20min search on Google.
use a TLS tunnel, and the FBI will need a few hours to do that.

B) The firewall is of no use for the question you are asking. The firewall enables you to protect your laptop from outside, it comes in complement of the security quality of the OS on your device (if you use Windows 98... beware).

C) You can encrypt data, it's in the options. You can also encrypt the content of your microSD card.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: