Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
kaczor1984
My Device: 8520 Curve
My Carrier: None
Accepted Solution

WiFi hotspot connection not working

[ Edited ]

On a embedded PC I've configued a hotspot for mobile devices - any device can connect to WiFi it provides and use it to access websites. However one of our customers told us that he can't use it with Blackberry.

Only funcionality we need is website access, no need for UMA or any other extra BB-specific features.

First problem we had was that BB couldn't associate to hotspot at all. That is fixed now by disabling 'wmm' on hotspot.

Problem that stays open is accessing websites. The browser is set to 'hotspot mode' but whenever i enter url in a browser the request times out. The gateway is correct, DNS-server (gateway itself) is correct too, IP address is assigned correct.

I dug into it and i can see that most of DNS queries don't reach the hotspot at all. When i try DNS test utility results are the same - most DNS queries don't reach hotspot. I can see BB exchanging ARP 'who has' APR 'is at' packets and thats all.

Ping to my hotspot works when i chose 'WiFi -gateway' (however it responds only once after ~1600ms, later requests time-out). When I try to ping it via IP all request time out (however i can see in logs that ping reaches my hotspot and it responds immediately).

Hotspot config is atheros (2413) based wifi card in ap mode. Driver is ath5k from 2.6.38 kernel. I use hostapd to create wifi network and dnsmasq as DHCP/DNS server.

I saw this thread (http://forums.pinstack.com/f156/hostap_madwifi_ng_atheros_and_w004_error-76140/ ) but changing anything in BB is not an option (it has to work with any blackberry). Also changing DNS address is not an option.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kaczor1984

Re: WiFi hotspot connection not working

Confirmed that it's a ath5k driver issue. Works (at least partially with madwifi driver).

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kaczor1984

I've found a real reason - bluetooth interferences.

Please use plain text.
S2
New Contributor
S2
My Device: Blackberry 9900
My Carrier: Airtel

Hello, so Kaczor1984 have you resolved the issue with going into a website using hotspot from your bb?
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kaczor1984

We've found a WiFi card that has less problems with Bluetooth interferences (because our hotspots do a lot of BT noise all the time) - we have chosen one with Prism chipset.

However we don't allow direct access to the internet - we substitute websites with local website located on our hotspot (but proably if we woul'd 'bridge' interfaces on our hotspot internet would work as well).

So we can consider this as yes.

Please use plain text.
S2
New Contributor
S2

Would you bé able send me demo that i can download and use on my blackberry?
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kaczor1984

I don't understand you - there is nothing on the Blackberry that should be used/changed (only connect to hotspot and visit websites through it). I had problems with configuring WiFi hotspot to work with Blackberry and haven't changed anything on Blackberry (except switching it to use hotspot browser).

Please use plain text.
S2
New Contributor
S2

Ok, i thought you had created an application that enables the blackberry to become a hotspot???
Please use plain text.