Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Q10 & PB 64GB
My Carrier: Telus
Accepted Solution

Will unlocked Canadian BBs enjoy full BB data services in Ireland?

Hello all,

At the advice of JSanders I have acquired unlock codes from BerryReview for my Telus BB devices.  Without actually being overseas, however, it is impossible to test if the unlocked devices will serve as intended when in Ireland.

My reason for questioning JSander's informed advice is that I have read on other forums that voice services may be unlocked, but not data services.  Alternate advice is that data services will not work in the new region if the 'service books' are not installed (whatever that means).

So, my question for the intelligentsia is - how can I ensure my unlocked Telus 9800 and 9630 will recieve full BB data services when new SIMS are installed in Ireland?

Thank you.  D.

Highlighted
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Will unlocked Canadian BBs enjoy full BB data services in Ireland?

[ Edited ]

One thing you'll quickly learn in these forums:  If JSanders says it'll work, it'll work.  Smiley Wink

When you unlock a phone, you unlock its full potential, not just a couple of features.  If the phone is compatible on the new carrier's network i.e. it was built to use that carrier's technology, then all you have to do is ensure that you have a proper data plan (BIS, or BlackBerry Internet Service).  Once you have that in place with the new carrier, you're set.

As for the "service books", they are software that tells your phone how to operate, including how to handle the data that travels through it.  BlackBerry phones operate differently than other smartphone brands and require special instructions known as Service Books.  The service books are automatically downloaded to your phone once you've subscribed to BIS and have registered your phone on the network.  This should happen as soon as you turn on your phone with the new SIM card in it while you're within the new carrier's network.

Cheers.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.