Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
kraidx
My Device: Curve 8520

app error 523

I have had this error message on my Curve 8520.

What solutions are there besides wipping the data on the device.

Is there a way to backup the data before erasing all the data?

I have looked into these solutions:

http://topsearchforyou.com/2011/06/24/blackberry-smartphone-error-523-app-error-523-jvm-523/

The solution using JL_Cmder/javaloader its not working as I have XP64 and OS X.

Desktop manager does not recognize the device and/or freezes. Hence I am unable to do a backup.

Thanks

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: app error 523

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Here is the official RIM KB on that error:

• KB24395 "Error 523", "App Error 523", or "JVM 523" appears on the BlackBerry Smartphone

Please prepare yourself...it is entirely possible that the data on your BB is already gone...hence, taking a backup now would be useless. You might, however, have luck booting it into Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode, think carefully...what happened just before this behavior started? A new app? An update? Something else? Think carefully as the smallest change could be causal...and attempt to undo whatever that was.

Failing that, you OS may have been corrupted, and only a clean OS reload can cure that. At the top of each device forum, there should be some "sticky" threads that discuss the OS levels available for each model. Please use those as reference as you proceed.

From a PC, you should be able to install any compatible (e.g., for your exact BB Model Number) OS package to a BB via this procedure:

Note that while written for "reload" and the Storm, it can be used to upgrade, downgrade, or reload any BB device model -- it all depends on the OS package you download and install to your PC. You can even use a different carriers OS package by simply inserting, between steps 1 and 2, the deletion, on your PC, of a file named VENDOR.XML. Be sure that you remove, from your PC, any other BB device OS packages as having more than one installed to the PC can cause conflicts with this procedure. Note further that this procedure bypasses the Desktop Software.

You also can attempt to use the BBSAK utility (BBSAK.ORG)...that can allow you, from a PC, to cleanly wipe and reload your BB OS.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
kraidx

Hello sdgardne,

Thank you for the support. I have been trying to get into to safe mode. No luck yet, but I will keep trying and will let you know.

Thanks again
Contributor
kraidx

I have acquired another BB a Bold 9900. Is it possible to keep the same BBM ID that I had on the Curve 8520?

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Hmmm..."BBM ID"...hmmm. Well, BBM technically functions via the device PIN, and each device has a unique PIN. So, I think the answer would be no. But, the Device Switch Wizard I thought was designed to help with shifting your BBM services over to a new device, including altering your PIN link with all of your BBM contacts. I don't, however, know for sure if it will accomplish that if you can't boot the old device properly so as to attach it to the Desktop Software and then run the Device Switch Wizard.

• KB05421 What is the Switch Device Wizard
  • KB23677 How to switch devices using BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.0
  • KB20715 How to recover BlackBerry Groups when switching to a new BlackBerry smartphone

I do know that, on the new device, you can log into your existing BB ID account and that will shift many things to the new BB...but I honestly don't know if it helps with BBM contacts or not.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
kraidx

Still have not managed to get into safe mode. I have been trying for the last 2 days

Contributor
kraidx

Still have not managed to get into safe mode :s

Contributor
kraidx

Does safe mode really exists? Its not possible that after all this time I stil haven not managed to boot into safe mode.

I followed the instructions on

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB17877

to the letter.

Thanks