Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
lalitve
My Carrier: Airtel

can a blackberry be used without data plan?

can a blackberry be used without data plan?

Please use plain text.
Developer
jasoncheung
My Carrier: Bell

Re: can a blackberry be used without data plan?

yes, but what do you want to use it for?

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Carrier: Rogers

Without BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service, the BB data plan), you can basically talk and text. If you want to take advantage of RIM's push technology and have updates pushed to your phone, such as new emails, facebook and twitter updates, weather updates, etc., you need BIS.

I hope that helps you. :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Carrier: Rogers

Oops, I forgot to add something:

You can surf the web via Wi-Fi without BIS but you won't have anything pushed to your phone.

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Developer
d3v3l0p3r
My Carrier: Carrier

My BlackBerry BIS works when WiFI is on and data is off but I suppose you need working SIM card with a BB BIS plan in first place to get it going.

---
If you find my post helpful please "like" it and "accept as a solution"
Please use plain text.
austinfife
My Carrier: AT&T

I am interested in getting the Blackberry z10. I currently have a family plan where my plan is only a "quick messaging phone". I don't want the data that comes with the Blackberry z10 or the charges that come for having/using data. I only want the phone for txt messages (sms messages) and calling. Is this possible for me to do? If so, how do I do this?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Carrier: TMobile USA

austinfife wrote:

I am interested in getting the Blackberry z10. I currently have a family plan where my plan is only a "quick messaging phone". I don't want the data that comes with the Blackberry z10 or the charges that come for having/using data. I only want the phone for txt messages (sms messages) and calling. Is this possible for me to do? If so, how do I do this?

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

It's actually better than that. With even the smallest data plan, you can have all BB-proprietary features (e.g., BBM, integrated email, BB Protect, OTA sync of calendar and contacts, etc.) on a BB10 device. With legacy, BIS was required for those things -- at whatever costs the carriers charged. With BB10, BIS is not used.

For example...in the US for $30/month, you can have 5GB 4G data (throttled thereafter, but truly unlimited), 100m talk, and unlimited SMS (TMobile Pre-Paid plan). And, with that plan, ALL BB-proprietary services work just fine. With pre-BB10 devices, the best I ever found was $50/month with 250GB of data (shut down thereafter).

Anyway, for what you desire, yes it is completely possible...but, you will be missing out on so many other things that no longer cost extra to have.

You need to talk to your mobile service provider of choice to determine what is best for you.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
uvp
New Contributor
uvp
My Carrier: Vodafone

Hi!

I come to understand that BB10 (z10) is different from legacy BB models such that no separate BIS pack is needed for BB10. A standard data pack from network operator is enough.

I want to know, why BB had a policy of having a separate BIS plan (for BBM, push services, etc - correct me if wrong here) and data plan from network operator. Is this a business strategy for extracting money from customers? What is the advantage of having so - while in other mobile OS we can do all that with the network operator's data plan.

Is it that considering a security standpoint, BBM was introduced for communicating with BB users. If so, now that BBM is available for iOS & Android - what was the point of having BBM internal to BlackBerry phone users (as earlier).

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Carrier: TMobile USA

uvp wrote:

Hi!

I come to understand that BB10 (z10) is different from legacy BB models such that no separate BIS pack is needed for BB10. A standard data pack from network operator is enough.

I want to know, why BB had a policy of having a separate BIS plan (for BBM, push services, etc - correct me if wrong here) and data plan from network operator. Is this a business strategy for extracting money from customers? What is the advantage of having so - while in other mobile OS we can do all that with the network operator's data plan.

Is it that considering a security standpoint, BBM was introduced for communicating with BB users. If so, now that BBM is available for iOS & Android - what was the point of having BBM internal to BlackBerry phone users (as earlier).

Thanks

Hello,

All of your questions are "why" types of questions...which, not being BlackBerry employees or insiders, we have no access to such answers. Further, even if anyone here knew the true answers, they likely would be barred from revealing it due to the site Ts & Cs, individual NDA, etc. Please see this "sticky" post, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed:

Hopefully, this information will be of use to you. If you wish to seek opinion regarding your questions, then you can surely proceed here in this community...just know that what you receive back can only be considered to be that...opinion of the individual who responds to you.

My opinion is that BIS provided both BB-proprietary services (email, BBM, etc.) plus also data compression via the BIS channel. Since all of that was dedicated solely to BB users and required dedicated infrastructure to be hosted at the carriers and at BlackBerry, then they logically could charge something additional for the use of those dedicated (to BB-users only) resources. Note, however, that this is market dependent...in some markets, having BIS or not results in no difference to the cost of the plan to the end user. Pricing to the end users is not set by BlackBerry...rather, it is solely in the control of the mobile service providers in each market, and each market may dictate different things from other markets.

Cheers, and Good Luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.