Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
guidog
My Device: phone is lost
My Carrier: work

surely the wrong forum, but cannot find any other place to ask this

Can the blackberry simulator be used to upload rem files and then decrypt them ?

My blackberry got lost 3 years ago, but I just found a micro sd card that still has some rem files on them and I would really like to decrypt them without buying another blackberry just for the sake of decrypting...

If only someone at the shop would have told me back then that decrypting was set to on I would not have this problem now.

maybe someone can direct me to the right place for this question, or even better answer it ?

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,839
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: surely the wrong forum, but cannot find any other place to ask this

Yea, this is a developer forum, but you haven't said what model BlackBerry you have or had.

Anway, to answer your question, sorry.. no. The Simlators do not read media cards or decrypt them and could not decrypt the files any ... the encryption is ON the device itself.

Even if you bought a new BlackBerry and inserted the media card with the encrypted files, they would remain unreadable... that is the point of the secure encryption.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
guidog

Dont remember what model it was.

So the point of the encryption is to make sure you loose your files for ever if you don't have acces to the device the files where encrypted on ? Sorry, but that makes no sense at all. Decryption is invented so you can take your files everywhere safe and only who knows the decryption key of pass can read them. If the only place where encrypted files can be decrypted is on the device itself, then there is no logical use for encryption because if you want to make a backup of your files that backup cannot be encrypted and therefore can be read by anyone !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could live with this abnormal encryption usage, if just someone told me back than that this decryption exists and was turned on, so I would have had a choice if I want to use it or not.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

guidog wrote:

So the point of the encryption is to make sure you loose your files for ever if you don't have acces to the device the files where encrypted on ? Sorry, but that makes no sense at all.

Sorry, that is not the point of encryption, and this misconception is where you're having the roadblock.

The point of encryption is to make the files unusable to anyone but the one who has the decryption key. You had that ON your old device. You lost that when you removed the card from your device.

Under your assumption of decryption, anyone could remove the media card, give it to another and plug into some simulator or new BlackBerry, and see the files. Doesn't work that way, thank goodness.

I am sorry no one told you had encryption set on the device. I don't think that is anyone's responsibility. Encryption is not set to ON by default, it is a user-enabled function, only. Or that a corporate BES server if the device used on an employer or corporate mail server, in that case it's the function of the employer to do with the device as they see fit.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
guidog

So the encryption key was a file on the device ?

I am puzzled  here,

while the card was in the device, it never asked me anything before playing/showing the encryped files.

So in other words, anyone who gained access to my device (stole it or found it or whatever) can open my files.

What's the encryption for than ?

If I understand correct, anyone who has the device, can open the files,

any backup of the files cannot be opened until you put them back on the device

So if you want to ensure that your backups can be opened when the device is lost (or stolen, crushed, whatever) your only option is to keep the backup files not decrypted.

How is that secure decryption ?

Anyone that has my device can open my files

Anyone that has my backup can open my files

so, why encrypt at all ?

Under my assumption of decryption, not anyone can open my files, not on the device, not on the backup.

My current files are also encrypted, and when I want to open them I need to provide a decription key or pass, every time again. The same goes for my backup files, regardless where they are stored.

So, under my assumption, only people that have the encryption key or pass can open the files.

Am I wrong to find this more logical and safer ?

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Nope, wrong on all accounts. You're making stuff up, lol, it doesn't work the way you wish it did.

Hey, I know you're frustrated. If you really want to have this discussion, I will.

But none of it is going to get back or change the circumstances in which find yourself now.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
guidog

Don't get me wrong here, yes I am frustrated but I am not making things up here.

It really worked that way, on the blackberry I never had to input any key or pass to open my "encrypted" files.

So what am I making up then ????

If you have my blackberry, you can open my files, tell me what I am making up here ??

And I currently really am working with encryption/decryption as I described.(not on a blackberry btw)

Every encryption software I can find is working like that, you can google that if you don't believe me.

Actually, even blackberry encryption/decryption works kinda like that, the only difference is that on the device it does not ask you to input a key or pass(so it was on my blackberry), and not the device there is no decryption possible. It is mainly the latter that is different from all other encryption software.

so again, what am I making up here ?

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Did you ever have a security password on the device?

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
guidog

It was setup by the company I worked for back then.

We had to type in a password every few minutes.

Is that what you mean ?

I don't work for that company anymore, they still use blackberry but cannot help me since my device is lost.

I was hoping that another blackberry device or simulator could decrypt if I could provide it with this password.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Yes, and since you had a security password on the device no one could have taken your BlackBerry and viewed your encrypted pictures because they wouldn't have have gotten past your password.

Had they removed your media card and walked off, they had nothing they could use.

Thus wad your employees decision to secure information on THEIR device. You're a few years later to be questioning their policy.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.