Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: water damage

1. first I would make a backup of th content of the device.
  2. then I would try and have the device exchanged for a new one at my carrier helpdesk.
  3. If they refuse, I would try and open the device and see what needs to be changed, and go to a website like cnn.cn to buy a spare keyboard.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
steneo
My Device: Not Specified

thanks Xandrex for the website suggestion and the trade in option. Unfortunately am not in the states anymore so the trade in option is off. I've been looking around and there are no blackberry repair shops so i think my only option is the DIY rout. do you know how this could be done or where i can go to get the info on how to do it?

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

steneo wrote:

there are no blackberry repair shops so i think my only option is the DIY rout. do you know how this could be done or where i can go to get the info on how to do it?

I have already contacted the cnn.cn website, they seem reliable even though I ended up not buying anything from them. There are many other websites, like http://horizonwirelessonline.com/cat/ .

for the how to, just look on YouTube, you'll find dozen of tutorials on how to disassemble / reassemble a BlackBerry device. If I recall correctly you'll need a torx 5 or 7 screwdriver.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
steneo

hey after about 2 weeks of having a dead keypad it just came back to life. should i take it in to get cleaned of should i just stay with it. Someone told me it would work for a frew weeks then die. is that true?

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

yes it can happen, time for the rust to consolidate.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
steneo

So what should I do to prevent it from happening? Should I take it in to get cleaned?
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

in my opinion it is already too late to do anything against the rust.

Either you are lucky and your device is okay for years, or it will rust within a few weeks.

changing the rust parts is of course possible, what I mean by that is change the whole inner keyboard.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

To add -- IMHO, with water intrusion into a BB, the only thing that is "for sure" is that the results will be unpredictable.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Visitor
alixw1990
My Device: Blackberrry Bold

Water Damage

I very stupidly forgot that my blackberry was in my pocket and put it through the washing machine with non-bio and fabric softener. It had been in there roughly an hour and a half. When I realised, I drained the machine, took out my Blackberry and removed the SIM and battery. I put it on top of a radiator at a very low heat on a tea towel. It and the battery have been drying out for over 48 hours. I tried putting a fresh battery in but there was no response. I am pretty sure that it went in with the phone on, but I had very very low battery , and it could have turned off before it got in the machine. But then again maybe not.

There is no water damage to the screen at all and I am just wondering if there is any way to fix it that will be less than the cost of a new one. I don't have my hopes up, but reading some of these stories makes me think I could get lucky.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
aimaaditya
My Device: 9300

Hi,

I have a strange water like droplet in the centre of my screen (9300). The screen works fine, and the drop seems to be trapped in between screen and top plastic cover.

I dont know how it got there, it was never wet. I put it on top of coffee vending machine. The spot disappears but comes back when phone comes abck to normal temp.

Please help. It seems the vapor has no way to come out of the screen.

Please use plain text.