Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
smedytennis
My Device: Not Specified

which blackberry??? need help

hi

i'm looking to buy my first blackberry device.  i'm on the verizon network and i'm due for an upgrade this month.  i want to get a blackberry because i want to organize my life, and i want to avoid windows mobile because i have a mac.  however, i'm 17 years old and naturally text messaging is the most important thing to me in a mobile device.  everything else is relatively unimportant to me, however i'd like to have a decent amount of features

for example:

• as i mentioned earlier, text messaging is paramount.  i currently have an env2, and it has been SUPERB for messaging.  it has a standard 12 key keyboard with t9 (my personal preference) and also a full qwerty on the inside.  i know blackberrys are legendary for their messaging capabilities, however i've read that some are more powerful/convenient than others.  i also read that blackberrys can only accomodate 160 characters in text messages, at least on the verizon network. is this true?
  • i would also like somewhat robust email/internet capabilities.
  • a decent user experience would be nice, but unnecessary. i just want to get the job done, you know...expedience. for example, cameras are cool but i dont need one

now having outlined what i'm looking for in a phone, i'd just like to say that i'm utterly intrigued by the storm. i've played around with it quite a bit at the Verizon Store and the amount of features is amazing. i'm just concerned with the texting. i've also heard that there a quite a bit of software issues.
if any of you more experienced blackberry user have any advice, it would be greatly appreciated
thanks a lot :smileyhappy:
nick 

Please use plain text.
Developer
jforce
My Device: Z10

Re: which blackberry??? need help

Hey there Nick! Welcome to the forums. You're making the right choice in going with a BlackBerry. Since your most important function is texting, I would definitely recommend a BlackBerry with a real keyboard as opposed to the Storm. I have the 8900 myself and it is amazing. I'm not sure if Verizon has the 8900 but they do have the Bold 9000 correct? The Bold is the most powerful as far as raw computing power and speed (best processor and 3G). The 8900 has a better camera and the screen has a higher resolution. I have messed around with a Storm and the typing isn't bad, but I totally prefer having real keys. At any rate, I would recommend a BB model with a full keyboard. Email is legendary on BlackBerry. You can have up to ten accounts and get your messages instantly as opposed to in batches. The internet capabilities have gotten a lot better. I'm actually typing this on my 8900 sitting on my couch. Websites render exactly as they would on a desktop computer. The BB user experience is second to none. I believe the 8900 is the ultimate all in one device. Up to 32GB memory, 3.2MP camera with autofocus, video recording, excellent media player for audio and video, wi-fi, GPS, calendar, address book, games, phone, and way more. Anyway, I'm getting carried away now. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!
BlackBerry® Z10
Editor
www.berryreview.com
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
smedytennis

thanks a lot jforce

i don't believe that verizon carries the bold (at least according to their website), or the 8900 but they do have the curve 8330, pearl 8130, 8703e, and 8830 world edition.  now they all have full qwertys except the pearl, which has this suretype thing? how does that work? do you know which of these is the most powerful/feature packed?

again, thanks a lot for the help i really appreciate it :smileyhappy: 

Please use plain text.
Developer
jforce

The 8330 is definitely your best bet. Suretype is a full keyboard on about half as many keys. Its acually quite accurate and easier to type quickly due to the larger button size. The downside is that you'll get a number of options for different key combinations. For example, "boy" and "not" are typed using the same buttons. So you have to select the word you want using the trackball. I had a Pearl for 2 years and totally loved it. If you like the small size and don't mind the Suretype, go for the 8130. If you like having the accuracy of the full qwerty, go with the 8330. 

I'm always glad to help! Don't hesitate to ask any other questions you might have. 

BlackBerry® Z10
Editor
www.berryreview.com
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

you have the half QWERTY keyboard with the Pearl and the Pearl Flip. It is completely different from T9 or iTAP.

you have the full QWERTY keyboards :
  • Curve I (2 years old and cheap) and Curve II (Wi-Fi and nervous keyboard)
  • 8800 (2 years old and cheap) and Bold (3G and "soft" keyboard)
  • Storm : touchscreen clicky keyboard

if typing is your concern you must try all three. I know I would rather use a Curve 8300 keyboard I than a Bold 9000 keyboard. Others would rather use a 8800 keyboard rather than a Curve 8900 keyboard.

with the storm I can achieve 30 words/minute. With the Curve 8300 I couldn't take the test but I think I would be at least 50wpm.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
smedytennis

thanks so much for thte help

yeah i like the curve from what i've seen. is it a problem that its two years old? i mean is verizon/rim going to come out with new device(s) soon that are going to replace these seemingly outdated devices? from my understanding the storm is the only one that seems to be new.

sorry for all the annoying questions haha but i really appreciate it and again, thank you

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

no I didn't make myself clear.

Curve 8300, Huron 8800, Pearl 8100 are "old" devices.

the new generation for each series is already available :
Curve 8900, Bold 9000, Pearl Flip 8200 + the Storm.

there is absolutely no problem with old devices : they are a bit slower, screen is smaller, but they are dead cheap.

in France :
Huron = 199EUR (can't understand why)
Curve I = 29EUR
Pearl I = 29EUR

Bold = 159EUR (can't understand why)
Curve II = 99EUR
Pearl II = 99EUR
Storm = 199EUR

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
smedytennis

ah i see. the only problem is that the curve 8900 is not yet available for verizon. is it worth the wait? slash will it even become available for verizon? i suppose the question stands for the bold 9000 as well. from what you guys have said (and i wholeheartedly appreciate your responses) i'm leaning towards the curve 8300.  but if the curve 8900/bold 9000 are worth the wait, maybe i should stick it out with my env2. what do you think?
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

try and find a Verizon roadmap for next devices, I don't know.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jforce

It looks to me, from the quick research I just did, (http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/Information-on-upcoming-Verizon-phones-article-a_2936.html) that there won't be any more BB goodness coming to Verizon anytime soon. 

If I were you, I'd make sure that there aren't any new BB's coming in. Maybe check with a store employee or do some more research. Then if there isn't any hope and if you have to stay with Verizon, as opposed to switching to T-Mobile and grabbing the 8900. THEN I'd say get the 8330. Its your best bet for now. Totally reliable and fully featured. Just my $.02. 

BlackBerry® Z10
Editor
www.berryreview.com
Please use plain text.