Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
Airport1
My Device: Not Specified

Re: 8100 not showing ImageItem in a form (MIDP)

OK, nice hint - will try it like you suggested.

That you have to start the app by hand in the emulator is "normal"?

Is there a workaround to start the app directly in the emulator?

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

The "build and run" feature of the BlackBerry JDE should build your application, install it into the BlackBerry Simulator and launch the BlackBerry Simulator.  Just like on a real BlackBerry, you'll need to start your application from within the BlackBerry Simulator by selecting its icon on the home screen (unless it is an auto start application).

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
New Developer
Airport1

@MSohm: Building the app, installing it into the BB Simulator and launching the BB Simulator is not the problem. This works since beginning.

> you'll need to start your application from within the BlackBerry Simulator by selecting its icon on the home screen (unless it is an auto start application).

That is the point, because: exactly this is what I really hate to do every time. When developing e.g. under Eclipse with the Nokia E90 Emulator the midlet is started at once in the emulator there. Under Blackberry you have two disadvantages:

1. the small disadvantage: the emulator takes more time to launch up (compared with the Nokia E90 emulator 3-5 times slower?)

2. the big disadvantage: you have to select your application from within the emulator. very unnecessary step which I would like to overgo. Is it possible to built in something like an option to directly start the application?

The Deployment via Blackberry Desktop Software / Manager is in my opinion a mess: sometimes (?) the Blackberry device needs to reboot before the application can be deleted or upgraded to a new version. Deploying on a Blackberry device can take up to 15 minutes, which is just to long in my opinion.

Furthermore the 64 KB packet limitation can produce some hair loss, and the J2ME aka RIM implementation is not really fully compatible as I have seen today:

The midlets' startApp() method may under some special contents not paint anything until it has reached the end of this method. Under some circumstances (or is it everytime?) YOU MAY HAVE TO paint in a separated thread, IFF painting at the beginning of midlet constructor or startApp() will not show any results.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
typerlc

To be fair, in MIDP you can't expect screen updates to occur while your code is responding to events ... e.g. in startApp(), or handling keypress or other events.  That's just the nature of the MIDP model.
Please use plain text.
New Developer
Airport1

@typerlc: OK, you are right, so I misunderstood this :smileyhappy:

Some problems not solved in my opinion:

- the very restricting 64 KB limit (not that modern)

- the emulator in which you need to start the app by yourself (very annoying)

- the deploying takes much time and often needs a reboot

Furthermore I am not sure whether I have a defect test device or is it normal that booting the Blackberry 8800 takes that much time?

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm

What 64KB limit are you referring to?

The BlackBerry Simulator simulates how a real BlackBerry acts.  Unless you have an auto start application, it is not auto started in the BlackBerry Simulator (or a real BlackBerry).  This is by design.

Here are the reasons why a BlackBerry may need to restart when an application is upgraded:

What Is - The reason a reset is required when upgrading an application
Article Number: DB-00602

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800332/800620/What_Is...

There are other options for deployment other than Desktop Manager.

How To - Load applications onto a BlackBerry smartphone
Article Number: DB-00041

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800708/800647/How_To_...

Depending on the reason for the restart, BlackBerry model and handheld software version a full BlackBerry restart can take anywhere from 3 to 20 minutes.

Mark Sohm

Please use plain text.
New Developer
Airport1

Thank you for your response.

> What 64KB limit are you referring to?

I mean the 64 KB limit of the cod files. In the beginning I ran into trouble because of that. My MIDLET app is a little bit like an image browser. I got the following error:

I/O Error: output file: <AppName>-64.cod data section too large: 65284 bytes.
output file: <AppName>-75.cod data section too large: 65068 bytes.
output file: <AppName>-219.cod data section too large: 65176 bytes. 

After reducing all images this error was gone.

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm

More recent releases of the BlackBerry JDE are able to break up larger files into sibling cod files.  The following link explains the 64 KB limit further.

What Is - The file size limit for wireless downloads
Article Number: DB-00015

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800708/800646/What_Is...

Mark Sohm

Please use plain text.