Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
andreslva
My Device: Not Specified

909 Application authentication failure

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I'm having a problem when trying to upload a signed jad/jar application to the blackberry 8120 or the 8110.  The download stops right at the beginning and gives me this error: 909 Application authentication failure.

However, I don't get this error if I upload the same signed jad/jar to a blackberry 8800.  Could it be that the 8100 series have problems with signed jad/jar applications?

The application was signed using verisign and doesn't use any API functions that need the specific blackberry signing.

I'm guessing it has to do with the signing because the unsigned version downloads fine.  My google searches have given me nothing since while it seems that many people had this problem, none of them were able to get a definite answer on what caused it or how to solve it. 

Here's what the jad contains:

Content-Folder: Games
Internal-Version: 2008-08-07 15.05.21.819
MIDlet-1: testApp,/icon.png,testMidlet
MIDlet-Data-Size: 15128
MIDlet-Icon: /icon.png
MIDlet-Jar-Size: 180805
MIDlet-Jar-URL: testApp.jar
MIDlet-Name: testApp
MIDlet-Vendor: vendor
MIDlet-Version: 1.0.0
MIDlet-Certificate-1-1:
    the certificate string
MIDlet-Certificate-1-2:
    the certificate string
MIDlet-Jar-RSA-SHA1:
  the certificate string

The version of the 8120 is v4.3.0.115 if that helps.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Message Edited by andreslva on 08-08-2008 12:28 PM
BlackBerry Development Advisor
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

Re: 909 Application authentication failure

What browsers are you using in your tests?  The BlackBerry Browser, Internet Browser or the carrier's WAP Browser?

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer
mfritchley

I am having the same issue on the Blackberry 8100, except instead of the 909 error I get a 907: Invalid Jar. I don't get the error when the Verisign certificate is removed, the build downloads and runs without any other issues. I am using the Carrier WAP browser to download (since the application will eventually be on the carrier deck) and my firmware version is v4.2.1.94.

Thanks for any help you can give!

New Developer
andreslva

[ Edited ]

I'm using the Blackberry browser to download the application too.  However, in my case it never happened on the 8100.  It only consistently happens on the 8110 and 8120.

Message Edited by andreslva on 08-14-2008 03:13 PM
New Developer
mrmwax

You should never sign a jad/jar destined for a blackberry. There are no java API / JSRs that are restricted by Blackberries by default. The only thing you do sign is a cod file. This is only necessary if you want to access the Blackberry restricted APIs and functions. These are clearly marked in the BB API documentation with a lock symbol.
New Developer
andreslva

Why is signing a jad/jar pair for blackberries a bad thing?  I didn't see anything in the blackberry developer guide that mentioned that.  It's true however that the blackberry will allow the applicationt to run without signing but it will give a message that reads something similar to "This application is not from a trusted source..." which I wanted to avoid.
MSohm

[ Edited ]

Can you provide a link to your jad file?  Are both BlackBerry handhelds on the same BlackBerry Enterprise Server?

What version of BlackBerry Enterprise Server are you using?  There are issues with loading signed jar files in versions of BlackBerry Enterprise Server prior to 4.1.6.  The work around is to use the WAP Browser.

Message Edited by MSohm on 08-15-2008 02:18 PM
Message Edited by MSohm on 08-15-2008 02:31 PM
Mark Sohm

New Developer
andreslva

As far as I know the blackberry I'm using is not connected to any enterprise server since we don't use features such as email or PIM.  The device is only used for testing purposes.  Unfortunately I cannot provide a link to the exact jad file because of company policies but the entries in the first post should be what the jad has minus the real name and signature key.  I will try another browser to see if that works though.

Thanks.

New Developer
tkeesin

I have a question.

So the only way to distribute signed j2me apps in blackberries is to produce COD files and sign them?

A signed JAD+JAR is not acceptable to blackberry devices. Is this right?

MSohm

Distribution using COD files is the recommended approach.

But you can use a JAD/JAR combination.  A signed JAR should work, but may not provide any benefit (this can vary based on carrier) other than ensuring the JAR file has not been tampered with.

Mark Sohm