Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
zizzybaloobah
My Device: Blackberry Curve

9930 Simulator - Can't use browser

I'm trying to run the 9930 simulator and visit a web page, but whenever I try to open the browser, I get an error: "flegde_upmhost" has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Browser crash error message

BlackBerry Development Advisor
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

Re: 9930 Simulator - Can't use browser

This is a known issue listed in the release notes here:  http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/33826/Known_issues_BB_smrtphn_simulator_164115...

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Contributor
azoc
My Device: Torch 9800, Tour 9630

"A fledge_umphost.exe error is displayed when you try to open www.rim.com" - Happens with MOST sites, not just rim.com.

"Impact: The image is cut off and a flashing line is displayed." - The browser completely crashes on mine and relaunches to the start page.

"Workaround: None" - This is the best part.

I can't even get to google.com without the browser crashing with a message about fledge_umphost.exe.

I'm using the 9930 and 9860 7.0 simulators. Is there a specific 7.0 simulator you can point us to that can open web sites without crashing?

Contributor
zizzybaloobah

So here I am 2+ years later, and I'm still can't get any v7 simulators to load web pages. Also the link to the release notes is no longer valid. I am trying to troubleshoot some intranet web pages that are being used by folks with a 9930 running 7.1.

My personal device is a different model and OS number, so I'm desperate to get a simulator working. I've uninstalled/reinstalled multiple times.

This is so frustrating...

Tempted to tell them to trade their devices in for Android or iOS.
Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

I just ran up the 9930 OS 7.1 Simulator, OS 7.1.0.355 (generic), which you can get from here:

http://us.blackberry.com/sites/developers/resources/simulators.html

and the Browser works fine. 

I have a pretty standard WIn 7 64 bit system, however my Java is back level and 32 bit - 1.6.0.37 - but I'm not sure that is relevant as I think the Simulators come with their own JVM.  The only 'trick' is that I have not installed my Simulators into the standard Program Files directory, instead the are installed into c:\RIM\.....  From memory I did this to overcome some security issues with the Simulators updating the Program FIles directory. 

Edit:

You will notice when the Simulator starts, it opens two windows.  I found if I close the first one (which seems to just be a black box), I get the "fledge_umphost.exe" error.

Contributor
zizzybaloobah

[ Edited ]

I recently downgraded to a 32bit Java because I couldn't get the BB JDE to launch. I also never close the empty cmd window. I also make sure MDS is running before I launch the simulator (I using the MDS from the same page you mentioned in your reply).

I uninstalled/reinstalled 9930 OS 7.1 Simulator, OS 7.1.0.355, putting outside the Program Files (x86) folder, and also making sure there were no spaces in any folder names (that was something I noticed about the simulators I have that *are* working). The simulators I have that are working are BBOS5.x and BBOS 6.x

No joy.  Nada. Zip. None of my 7.1 simulators of any model or OS version can use the browser without crashing when I attempt to open any URL.

Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

Try without MDS.  I did not have MDS running when I tested.  There was a requirement in older Simulators to have it but I don't think it applies to OS 7.1. 

I guess it should work with or without MDS, but mine works without..

Contributor
zizzybaloobah

Tried not running MDS, and no joy. On some simulators it crashed in the same way, in others, it told me it had no connection to the internet.