Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

A Question oF GUI Proportions.

Hi All,

In my quest to write an advanced GUI Application, I am now asking myself, are there any books or resources that offer a good coverage on blackberry GUI development.

I have noticed that all I do is search this forum and search google. But i think i need a better understanding of how the GUI in blackberry is designed to work.

I have seen/read numerous (+ helpfull ) advices like "Overide paint() method", "overide drawFocus", "extend Field"..etc

I fundamentally dont know what these things are or mean. I want to have a better grasp of BB GUI development.I want to be able to say "Have you tried overiding..." cos i believe this comes from having a deep knowledge of the internals of d GUI in BB.

Please any resources or books?

Thanks

Dan

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

Re: A Question oF GUI Proportions.

there are several books about development for bb, but i don't know any focusing on the UI aspects.

maybe you could write your questions down?

in dealing with UI you have a couple of layers (i just put them up, you can make a more granular distinction for sure).

the first layer is standard components. this means editfield, bitmapfield etc, neatly packed into a verticalfieldmanager etc.

the second layer is a custom layout, modifying the position of fields manually. this provides a workaround for the limited options of standard layout managers.

see http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800332/800505/800508/...

also in the second layer would be modifying the interaction, like providing own fieldchangelisteners, overriding event methods like keychar, navigationclick etc. or changing the focus handling with movefocus, navigationmovement.

in the third layer i would set the direct access to the screen/fields panting. overwriting paint you can do whatever you want - within the limits of the graphics class. drawfocus etc are similar methods that change the field directly.

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: A Question of GUI Proportions.

I have three of the Books that are out (I don't have the gaming book), and I think the best for you is UI chapters in "Beginning Blackberry Development"  In this book, he actually starts with standard Ui Components, and builds from there to a custom Manager, GridFieldManager.  I think this is a useful introduction. 

You can pick up pretty much the same sorts of things if you work through the various UI tutorials and videos here, but it not so coherently explained. 

Just my opinion.