Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
jipock
My Device: Not Specified

Accessing Address Lists From Blackberry

Good Morning / Afternoon,

I am attempting to develop an application on a blackberry which will obtain a list of all of the email addresses within a certain Address Distribution List in Exchange. There is a Blackberry Enterprise Server running, and is connected to a Microsoft Exchange server.

I was hoping for some sort of API call to do this. I suppose that I could build a Web Service to do this, but then the Web Service would be required to be available on the internet (unless there is a way for the BES to act as a proxy??).

Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
mweitzel

Re: Accessing Address Lists From Blackberry

Hi there, by default the device (if connected to a BlackBerry Enterprise Server [BES]) will communicate with the Internet through the BlackBerry Enterprise Server's MDS-CS (Mobile Data System Connection Service). So with regards to your Web-Service that definitely doesn't have to be exposed to the Internet. It 'just' needs to be reachable on the IP network from the BES.

Have a look at this KB article which explains on how to establish a non-default browser session. The same transports are also available for your Web-Service.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jipock

Much thanks on that - I didn't know that a Blackberry uses the Enterprise Services as a proxy.

Is there a good KB article on opening SOAP Web Services available? A quick search of the developer documentation (PDF) has no entries for SOAP at all.

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

The BlackBerry API set supports the JSR 72 Web Services standard.  We currently don't have any examples for this, but it is not a BlackBerry specific API so you can refer to examples available on the Internet.
Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
jipock

Thanks. What I ended up doing was using the Sun Java Wireless Toolkit to generate stubs from the WSDL and will use that instead.

Please use plain text.