Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
sujithravindran
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Adding 450 mb of video along with BB app

Hi ,

I want to add about 450 mb of video along with my BB app .  want to know whether BB will support this from model 4.2 to 4.7

can any one plz comment on this topic

Thanks

sujithravindran. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
sujithravindran

Re: Adding 450 mb of video along with BB app

can any ne plz reply

Please use plain text.
Developer
ydaraishy

If you want to bundle this separately from the actual executable, like on a SD card, you could probably do this.

Otherwise ... this is a phone we're talking about, a computer with limited amounts of memory. Under other conditions, what you're trying to achieve is unrealistic.

Please use plain text.
Developer
zany
My Device: Storm

Hi Sujithravindran,

It is not possible to add 450 mb file to cod file. Its size limitation is less than 6mb. You can put the file in SDCard and load it from your app. I think older version mobiles will not have sufficient amount (450mb) space in SDCard to store the data So according to me it is not possible

Refer the following thread

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-App-World-Development/Size-limitation-for-cod-file...

with regards,
Vignesh J

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to mark your post as solved if you get the answer and dont forget to give kudos if the answer is useful for you.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.3253, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.0.1418, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

As ydaraishy and zany stated, it's not possible.

Unlike the iPhone, Android, and Windows Mobile, BlackBerry has size restrictions on apps. This is for speed (in downloading, installing, removing, loading, etc.) the application and because BlackBerry stores the applications in a separate memory location which the largest I know of is 128mb. Second COD files are limited to 64kb of code and 64kb of resources. Any more and the COD is split into multiple CODs, with a video of 450mb that would give you a minimum of 7200 CODs. Most BlackBerry's don't have more then a couple hundred, let alone over 7000 for one app.

Your options are, as ydaraishy stated, to install it on the SDCard or to stream it. If you don't have a server you can always find free web storage sites out there, put your file there and have your app log in and download the media file.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.