Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
mdwheaton
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Adding symbols to the symbol menu

Hi all,

Forgive my ignorance, but how does one add custom objects to the symbols menu? Is it possible?

Sincerely,

mw

BlackBerry Development Advisor
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

Re: Adding symbols to the symbol menu

If you are looking to do this accross all applications, then no, this is not possible.

This could be done for your own application.  You could create a custon PopupScreen with the existing symbols, as well as your own that is displayed when the user presses the sym key.  You'd need to capture when the sym key is pressed and display your own PopupScreen by overriding the keyDown method found in the Field or Screen classes.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer
mdwheaton

Mark,

Applications like Google Talk and Yahoo IM seem to be integrated into the existing framework for the SYM key. Did they create their own custom popup, or do they have access to some other mechanism that we 'lowly' developers do not have access to? When the SYM key is pressed in those applications, the SYM screen looks IDENTICAL to the global screen, except with their added symbols.

MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

These applications were created by RIM.  So they have access to internal APIs to accomplish this.
Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer
mdwheaton

Well isn't that just special! :smileyhappy:

Thanks Mark

Contributor
Bla1ze
My Device: 9000R

LOL! Welcome to one of the major issues of development for BlackBerry devices...not enough access to the API's
Developer
Berrysoft

RIM really should reconsider this "closed" policy.  Giving preference to some and not giving access to the entire developer community is not in everyone's best interest.  Granted, for platform stability there has to be some limits, but in general if you want people to develop, you have to give them the tools to do so, and create a level playing field.

If developers are not able to deliver high-quality apps, developers will move elsewhere.

Just my 0.02 cents.