Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

Advanced BlackBerry Development, by Chris King

This book is basically a set of tutorials that cover a lot of things that you can do on the device.  So if you want to know how to do any of the following, then this will provide a very good starting point:

Media Capture – audio and image
Media playback – video and audio
Sending and Receiving
- SMS
- MMS
- Email
- Pin
Encryption/Decryption (using RIM and Bouncy Castle)
PIM Access and Update, including
- Contacts
- Calendar
- ToDo and Memo (briefly)
Browser Field (the pre OS 5.0 version)
CHAPI

The book does cover other things, (such as ApplicationMenuItems), but to my mind these are not covered in sufficient detail to be independently useful. 

In addition to these tutorials, the book has 4 chapters which cover:
a) Getting started – i.e. getting your Eclipse platform installed and working
b) Security – Permissions API etc.
c) Porting your app – i.e. coping with the differing hardware and software that you app might run on
d) Build Techniques

All useful, if not exciting stuff.

As you can see, the book does cover a wide areas that any developer will want probably want to try at some stage.  For this reason, I would recommend that you get this book. 

However I have reservations. 

I really wanted this to be a great book so that I would suggest to all the people that ask complicated things on this forum, that they buy it.  Unfortunately for me, I can’t.  The sort of complicated things that people get caught on (such as the Inter Process Communication, Listener processing, Event Thread locking or even complicated UI management) which are Blackberry specific, are not discussed at all.

In addition, the book has a number of errors that might confuse, for example the http sample uses “;deviceside=true”, then the user is told to start the MDS Simulator to allow the application to connect.  It doesn’t provide reference sources, such as RIM KB articles, which means the information can’t be checked easily and some of it will be out of date in 3 months (if not already).  An example of this is the Keyboard Hardware layout constants which are straight from the JavaDocs.  And parts of it seem to be been culled from other sources, for example, no-one coding for Blackberry today would even consider converting their color icon to monochrome for a monochrome device.  How many of you have even seen a monochrome BlackBerry?

But the biggest let down for me, is the lack of insight into ways of doing things that I would expect from an ‘old hand’.  In an Advanced BlackBerry development book I would expect to see comments that would help resolve a lot of the stuff we see in the forum every day with topics like Event logging, managing huge amounts of data, updating and installation issues, providing your users with easy ways to help you debug your applications, implications of the Blackberry garbage collection ,…  I could go on. 

I suspect the reason this sort of stuff is not included, is that the author is not an old hand at BlackBerry.  While he might be an old hand at mobile development, to write this book, he looked at what the Blackberry could do and decided to concentrate on the flashy stuff that was not particularly BlackBerry specific.  Fair enough, and as I have already said, this book provides some useful tutorials and it is worth while buying just for them.  But this will not be the last Blackberry book you buy, there is another “Really Advanced” BlackBerry Development book needed to complete the collection. 

I’ve not found a blog site or web site that relates to this book (other than the aprèss site of course!).

The only other review I have found is on Amazon.com, and I agree with that reviewer’s last statement:, where he asked for a follow up with really, really hard or advanced development.

I've made comments about two other books on BlackBerry Development on this forum:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Beginning-BlackBerry-Development-by-Anthony-...

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/BlackBerry-Development-Fundamentals-by-John-...

And I should point out that I don't know the author and I bought my own copy of the book.

Please use plain text.
Developer
JCarty
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650/BlackBerry Torch 9800

Re: Advanced BlackBerry Development, by Chris King

I really like this book as it gets into the nitty gritty right away and doesn't give the unnecessary fluff.

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.3253, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.0.1154, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

Good review, I felt the same way with the book. Maybe you should write a "More Advanced" book.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.
Developer
ksykulev
My Device: Blackberry Bold

I have bought this book, but have not had the time to open it yet. Great insight. Thanks Peter_strange.
Please use plain text.
Developer
Nadirfirfire
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: ZAIN

looks like a useful info.

any site where we can download the PDF. since iam in kuwait and shipping takes more than 2 weeks

appreciate your reply

rgds

Nadir

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

From the apress web site.

here is the direct link:

http://www.apress.com/book/view/1430226560

Please use plain text.