If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
Dooleyj
My Device: Blackberry 8520
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Advertising Platform

I'm working on creating an advertising platform for blackberry that has already peaked the interest of a few advertising companies. I was wondering if I opened it up and created a library that allowed developers to create an account ad place an ad in their apps (at startup or durring loading screens. wherever really. ) would you be interested? 

You would recieve a CPM payment based on the number of app views every month with an online portal to check ads per app in real time. Ads would be full screen streaming video.

My thoughts are that this would allow developers to give apps away for free and generate ad revenue over time. What are your thoughts?

Please use plain text.
Developer
br14
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Advertising Platform

My thoughts are that it's already being done by Nexage and others, and RIM will have their own in the not too distant future (though I'm not holding my breath).

All the same, if you think you can compete go ahead. Not sure this is the appropiate forum though.

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.2174, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

RIM will most likely release it at this year's Dev Con. But I expect that it will be like a built in library (release a new update for the 6.0 API) so having something that supports 5.0 and earlier could be good.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Dooleyj

We have been watching RIM very closley ourselves. The idea is that rather then having a propriatary advertising platform on each smartphone, there would be one across all OS (Android, BlackBerry, IPhone, Windows Mobile) That would all plug into one system where you can get all your results.This would greatly help cross platform development.

Prior BB os is a must in our books. OS 6 has nothing on it. We want to make it as simple as possible for developers to use this. This means one line of code after importing the library and you have an ad. At first you will be able to select predefined tags to catagorise what kind of ad you want to display and later any tag will work. (we just havn't added the search algorithems yet.

Please use plain text.
Developer
cwong15
My Device: Not Specified

That would be interesting. It has been surprisingly hard to find an advertising SDK for the BlackBerry.

One thing I would be concerned about is the size that your library will add to the app. BBs are rather memory-constrained, so if your library increases the size of the COD significantly it will significantly reduce the attractiveness of the app.

The other thing I am concerned about is your focus on full screen video. Have you considered how annoying this would be to users? Not to mention the network usage, now that AT&T users have to watch their bandwidth usage.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Dooleyj

90% of our information is handled serverside so the size of the library is very small. The only real concern is the bandwith usage. We can see a few different options here.

Currently we are testing with a huge 2mb that is super high quality. We could reduce these to much smaller sized viedos to help.

Another option I have been looking into is banners. With varring sizes of banners, you can inputthem into your code wherever you want.

From our testing, users are not annoyed by ads if the information is:

A) relevant to them

B) entertaining

or

C) Shorter then 10 seconds

we are trying to work within these bounds as the basis for the ads themselves while also developing it to be as easy for you guys to use as possible.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
sprintagal
My Device: 9630
My Carrier: Me

Even cross marketing that linked directly into BB App world would be nice. This would allow free apps to monetize from cross selling other apps from other developers. The biggest issue would be click fraud. Thats really a huge liability.

The announcement of the BlackBerry ad platform seemed to indicate it would support this as well as media ads, and some other types. But I would think someone could turn a few bucks quickly until then by creating a cross-selling exchange. If done right, they might even beat out BlackBerry and be able to expand into other platforms (and later be bought by google.. lmao.)

Please use plain text.