Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
icefrost1
My Device: Curve 8310
Accepted Solution

Alter audio during phone call

Hi

I'd like to know if this is possible and how can it be achieved. I need to implement a feature whereby a user can activate an application and make a phone call then the audio from both sides of the phone call is routed to the application, the application alters the audio and sends it back out. This may sound crazy or silly but we have a legitimate and serious business requirement for this. I also need a way to do the same for an incoming call.

I'd like to know whether there are any APIs available (if it's restricted or licensed APIs an arrangement can be made) for this or any workarounds if there are not.

Regards

Lionel

Give kudos if somebody helps you, also mark accepted if it solves your problem. Search first, then post. Please respect RFC-1855 when posting on forums.

Please use plain text.
Developer
acowart
My Device: Not Specified
My Carrier: Sprint

Re: Alter audio during phone call

This is not possible.  Your application could not receive incoming call audio.
Andrew Cowart | Metova
www.metova.com
Please use plain text.
Developer
icefrost1

Thanks,

I was thinking so, because I noticed somebody asked about call recording and this was not possible, obviously if the audio could be intercepted then call recording would also be possible.

I was thinking about one possible workaround, not sure if it will work:

1. Let the application use the data connection to establish a phone call via voice-over-IP.

2. This would mean that data is running back and forth between the device and the server and the microphone and speaker are used by the application to make a phone call.

3. Then the audio is encrypted before it leaves the phone and send to the server.

4. The reverse happens on the receiving phone.

The goal is very simple: Our company often deals with data that is top secret and we don't want people intercepting our phone calls, therefore we want to encrypt all voice communications between eachother. We are well aware that there are phones available that can do this, but then we'd lose the functionality that we now enjoy with BlackBerry.

Would this workaround work? Or is there something else that would work? I'm not looking for a straightforward solution as it's obviously not possible, we have sufficient resources and a large enough budget for this project as it is critical to our line of business. We deal with extremely sensitive data, data that could result in potential lawsuits from our clients if it leaks out.

I've read somewhere that there is an application available that can do this, but company policy calls for this project to be developed in-house as we cannot be assured of the application's security without having the source code available.

Regards

Lionel

Give kudos if somebody helps you, also mark accepted if it solves your problem. Search first, then post. Please respect RFC-1855 when posting on forums.

Please use plain text.
Developer
icefrost1

Our lawyers will get involved to assure we have the correct cryptography licenses, if not we will acquire them, so that is not a reason for concern.

Please use plain text.
Developer
acowart
My Device: Not Specified
My Carrier: Sprint

That is more possible.

The other limitation I see would be phone choice.

I know that CDMA phones cannot record audio while playing audio, so those phones would have to do more of a walkie talkie interface - You can talk or listen, but not both at the same time.

I'm unsure if GSM phones have this limitation as well

Andrew Cowart | Metova
www.metova.com
Please use plain text.