Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

JSanders
Solutions: 5,923
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Am I supposed to be afraid of RIM?

Aviator168 wrote:

Given the recent data "over load " on AT&T's network. Wireless services might crackdown on high bandwidth applications on mobile devices. We are a bit concerned. Eventhough there is nothing the service providers can do about it, they can, through their manufacturing partner,  prevent such application to be deployed.

On the contrary, the entire industry is moving in the opposite direction from what you are thinking. Increased bandwith, higher data intensive applications, faster speeds, etc. The consumer is demanding it, and with the dollar to be made, you can bet they won't be cracking down, but rather cracking it wide open.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Developer
Aviator168
My Device: 8520, 8900, 9000, 9300, 9650, 9700, 9780, 9800, 9810, 9900, 9930

[ Edited ]

JSanders wrote:

On the contrary, the entire industry is moving in the opposite direction from what you are thinking. Increased bandwith, higher data intensive applications, faster speeds, etc. The consumer is demanding it, and with the dollar to be made, you can bet they won't be cracking down, but rather cracking it wide open.

Hope that is reality. On the other hand, programmers will always find applications to exhaust whatever bandwidth the network can throw at them.

Please use plain text.
Developer
icefrost1
My Device: Curve 8310

Well, decent quality video conferencing might be the solution to the excessive bandwidth. :smileywink: Now, only if they would just decide to put front cameras on these little wonders.

Give kudos if somebody helps you, also mark accepted if it solves your problem. Search first, then post. Please respect RFC-1855 when posting on forums.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Aviator168
My Device: 8520, 8900, 9000, 9300, 9650, 9700, 9780, 9800, 9810, 9900, 9930

icefrost1 wrote:

Now, only if they would just decide to put front cameras on these little wonders.

I will drink to that. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

JSanders wrote:

Aviator168 wrote:

Given the recent data "over load " on AT&T's network. Wireless services might crackdown on high bandwidth applications on mobile devices. We are a bit concerned. Eventhough there is nothing the service providers can do about it, they can, through their manufacturing partner,  prevent such application to be deployed.

bandwidth is a real problem that some carriers like AT&T did not forecast (lame people !). of course, the most intensive bandwidth applications are streaming applications like YouTube for video, and Pandora / Deezer / I heart radio for radio.

usually people tend to go to the best network, meaning the network with good coverage and big bandwidth. To this day there is just one contradictory example, it's the iPhone and its only available carrier in NYC : AT&T. It's a situation that has no special reason to persist in middle-term basis.

For the recollection, the cellular placement of 3G cells in NYC for the AT&T network is scandalously sparse (3 times less than the CDMA radio antennas from Verizon).

On the other hand, RIM is focusing not only on 3G but also on E-EDGE which is using the EDGE cells fur with higher bandwidth. This can be used in conjunction with 3G so you can use E-EDGE for regular transfers like voice & regular data (push emails & mms) and leave 3G for blazing speed apps like browser & streaming.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.