Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
jtaylor
My Device: Not Specified

Another Connecting via the BIS type problem.

JDE 4.2.1

I have an application that requests data from a server that is working as expected on two carriers networks.

Working as expected means that the application is loaded OTA with a URL to the jad file and then the installed application uses an HttpConnection to retrieve data from a remote server.

A third carrier network is causing problems.  Using this carrier I can retrieve the jad file using the browser but I can not retrieve data using the HttpConnection unless I supply additional URL parameters to force the use of a WAP gateway.

I was OK using the WAP gateway until the gateway started truncating downloads.

Here is the question.  When I download the jad file using the browser I can see from the requesting IP address that the request has gone through the RIM network.  When I add the WAP parameters to the URL to make a request work from my program the request is clearly going through the carrier network.

I've read the documents that are usually suggested with connection problems AND watched the video and turned off and on all the URL parameters I can find.  I'm still coming up empty. 

My latest brainstorm had me setting the user-agent for the request in hope that the carrier network was routing differently based on headers.  No luck.

One final piece of information.  I queried CoverageInfo for the device/carrier in question with this result:

CoverageInfo.COVERAGE_MDS = false

CoverageInfo.COVERAGE_CARRIER = true

CoverageInfo.COVERAGE_BIS_B = true

How can I find out how the browser is connecting so I can do the same in my code?

What am I missing from the suggest reading? 

Thanks,

James 

Please use plain text.
Administrator (Retired)
mkirkup
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Another Connecting via the BIS type problem.

There is no mechanism that would tell you how the browser itself is connecting to the network but the video and other materials (networking whitepaper for example) would provide you with the necessary information on how to connect via the appropriate channel for your application. 

It isn't clear from your post below exactly what the problem is that you are attempting to overcome.  Do you want to use WAP channel for connectivity and are experiencing problems?  Or are you just looking for a connection that works?

Mike Kirkup
Director, Developer Relations
Please use plain text.