Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
reduz
My Device: Blackberry Curve
My Carrier: Movistar

Any plans for JNI?

[ Edited ]

I've recently read that RIM will launch BBOS6, and about the recent aquisition of QNX.

So my question is, does anyone know if there are any plans from RIM to support native development on the BlackBerry? The competition (iPhone, Android, Symbian and Maemo) all support this and it's easy to see (if comparing) how much more advanced applications and games can become when having access to the native processor and resources. My company would be very interested in porting and/or creating new software for RIM devices, but pure Java/J2ME/etc right now is simply not a good investment, considering what the rest of the devices out there can do.

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: Any plans for JNI?

with this being a user-to-user forum and the RIM employees not allowed to talk about upcoming features, who should possibly answer your questions?

i think it is quite unlikely.

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
New Developer
reduz
My Device: Blackberry Curve
My Carrier: Movistar

Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding, I wasn't expecting an official answer. I'm just trying to get a little more informed on this matter and what to do in my position given i can't really find much information about the Blackberry development process, what can/can't be done/etc on the internet, as compared to other phones.

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.2174, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

It might be best to create a different post for "i'm trying to get more information on the development process" but though JNI is nice there have been many advanced apps created that only use Java and run just fine.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

In addition, if there is a specific hardware feature that you would like to gain access to, ask for it, and RIM might create a Java API for it.

Please use plain text.
Developer
dynamicdhaka
My Device: styile 9670
My Carrier: SingTel

[ Edited ]

any update about it in os 6.0?

:smileyvery-happy:
Mobile Application Advisor
Please use plain text.
Developer
dnepr
My Device: Playbook

No JNI

Please use plain text.
Developer
jMarc
My Device: Not Specified

For example: I'd really like a PDF viewer/renderer.  Both Artifex and FoxIt are C/C++.  I think FoxIt is or will be available for Android, but unless RIM gets involved, it won't be for BlackBerry.

Please use plain text.
Developer
dynamicdhaka
My Device: styile 9670
My Carrier: SingTel

i will no longer develop blackberry software .The api limitation restricting us more and more.RIM thought we will dominate also by selling our own softaware ..just bull **bleep**..:smileysad:

Mobile Application Advisor
Please use plain text.
Taylarie
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Remember to be respectful of all.

~Taylarie~
Please use plain text.