Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
Dionysus
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: MTN
Accepted Solution

App trying to access a secure API

I am suddenly getting this error when I try to run my app on device.

The COD files are all signed (yes, I've double checked). It's not the keys as this app has been running for the past 3 years without any vertification issues.

The only difference now is that I've added BBM integration and QR tags.

Any idea what the problem could be?

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: App trying to access a secure API

clean the build, rebuild and sign again.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
Dionysus

The build runs on an ant script where it's cleaned, rebuilt and signed every time it's deployed.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

I suggest you display details of the module on the phone and make sure that it is signed. 

Instructions for OS 6.0 + are

Options --> Device --> Application, then use the Menu to select "Modules", then select your Module. 

It will display Signer IDs and the date stamp.  Compare this with the source cod to make sure you are loading the correct one and that it has all the signatures it requires. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
Dionysus

Please stop saying that I have to make sure that it is signed. It is definitely signed. I've checked each and every COD file to make sure that it is signed.

As I've stated, nothing has changed in the build config and signing process. The only thing that changed was the code in the client, which changes daily and use to work completely fine.

Only after implementing QR tag generating/decoding functionality as well as connected it to BBM does it not run on the device.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

I am sorry to ask you to check the signing for your codes.  But I have responded to a number of similar Threads in the past and every time people have assured us that the cod is signed correctly and every time it is not.

I have two thoughts in this case:

a) by integrating QR or BBM you are now requiring a new signing authority that you did not need previously.  I'll be honest, I have no idea what this might be and I have had a quick check and as far as I can see, the integrated BBM and QR processing does not require any signing over and above the standard 3, i.e. RBB RCR and RRT.  Can you confirm that your modules all have these three Signer IDs?

b) by intergating QR or BBM, you are loading an additional (library?) cod onto the device that does not go through your standard signing process.  Is this possible?

Please use plain text.
Developer
Dionysus

No problem ...

a) Yes, the modules have the three signer IDs

b) BBM uses the library from the SDK but this gets included. The QR functionality is only for OS6, 7 and 7.1 so, as you probably know, this is built in and does not require additional libraries.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

One thing:

"BBM uses the library from the SDK but this gets included."

The BBM jar should not be included, it is intended for use when developing only as an external library.  How are you including it?

Given what you are saying, the next thing I would suggest is that you create an OTA link and let someone else try to install it.  I might be able to do this for you.  Feel free to PM if you think this would be a good idea. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
Dionysus

In the rapc of my ant script  I do the following before signing and copying to our wapsite:

<src>
        <fileset dir="lib/bbm_sdk">
        <include name="**/*.jar" />
 	</fileset>
</src>

Myself and others have tried installing it OTA on multiple devices but to no avail. We all get the same error.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

Sorry, that looks like ant.  I don't use ant and so don't know what this will do.

However just to confirm, you should NOT build the BBM jar into your application.  It should just be included on your Build path.

Regarding your comment about other people having tested it, I thought that might be the case, I would actually use this to check that the app failed on my device an that all the signing is correct.  A second pair of eyes is often worthwhile I think. 

Please use plain text.