If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
Developer
dn8
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

App world updates VS. your own updates

Hi All,

We are getting ready to release our application.

My question is, do most of you use App World to distribute and update your apps or do you roll your own?

My other question is, do all the blackberry models come with App world installed? Does app world get installed on software updates to older models?

We are trying to determine if we should create our own update process or piggy back the app worlds.

Thanks in advance

Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
CMY
My Device: 8130 / 8350 / 9530 / 9550 / 9850 / PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: App world updates VS. your own updates

From my understanding, if your app is distributed through AppWorld, you cannot manage your own updates.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
dn8

if your app is distributed through AppWorld, you cannot manage your own updates.

That doesn't sound right.. I am pretty sure I read you have the ability to upload your update through your app world admin panel. App world then pushes out the update.

Anyone?

Please use plain text.
Developer
JCarty
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650/BlackBerry Torch 9800

App World pushes out the updates but the timing of those updates is different and all users do not receive it at once (I assume for scalability and efficiency reasons).

You use a credit for each update you push out so if you wanted to push your own updates via a "Check for updates" mechanism, you can but it might just be easier to push it to App World and let App World notify the user.

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
CMY
My Device: 8130 / 8350 / 9530 / 9550 / 9850 / PlayBook

From what I was told, If you implement your own update mechanism in your app, AppWorld will not publish the application. So while you can update your apps in AppWorld, you cannot "control" them yourself.

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.2174, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

Pandora, UberTwitter, etc. come built in with a mechanism to check for updates. They can be updated through there own site or through App World.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.
Developer
laliux
My Device: Bold

[ Edited ]

As says @JCarty, you use a credit for each update.

Initially you have 10 credits, so after 4 updates, you will have only 5 credits (1 credit for inital release).

The update time is the same for a initial approval and could be days or weeks!

My conclusion,.. easy, implements your own updates system.

Of course, your first version at AppWorld must be the most complete and bug-free possible.

Greetings

Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
dn8

Thanks guys,

This is the exact information I was looking for...

Please use plain text.