Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
SandeepKumar
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700
My Carrier: Airtel

AppIcon best size

Can someone tell me whats the best size of an app icon that should work across different blackberry devices with different resolutions.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
suhelskype
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: AppIcon best size

Hi,

I think it is best to tailor your app icon per device model as per these guidelines based on os 7.0 devices

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/28627/BlackBerry_6_1_icons_and_indicators_1528...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
SandeepKumar

[ Edited ]

hi suhelskype,

Thanks for the reply . But how can you have appicon of multiple resolutions for the same build.. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
Shraddha
My Device: Not Specified

I am not sure if this helps you- Include images of multiple resolutions in your build and pick up the correct images programmatically based on the resolution you want..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
SandeepKumar

we can set the app icon programatically when the app start but what about when the app is not running.... Used this concept for the images used inside the application..
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

If it is essential for you to have the perfect icon all the time, create an autostart alternate entry that sets the icon. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
emac
My Device: 9500/9520/9800/9810
My Carrier: TMobile

My experience is (might be that RIM is killing me for this statement) that when you create an AppIcon that have a size of 128px by 128px that this will be rendered on all devices more or less acceptable.

Of course all the devices needs to resize the actual image so that it will fit on the home screen - but the home screen implementation of RIM does a great job on this. Yes of course it does not come with build in photo shop like abilities - but the scaling of my AppIcons is really at a very acceptable level.

So when you do not have device dependant CODs (build) and want to use one build for all devices (from OS7 to OS4.x) - then honestly try a 128 x 128 image.

[FileScout] | [iMazing] | [GPSLogger II] | [Iconify] | [TOMPlayer]
Please use plain text.
Developer
gyubok
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Telus

Does 128x128 look good on a device?

All my apps use 92x92 as per OS7.0 guideline. It still looks good on OS 5 devices

Please use plain text.
Developer
emac
My Device: 9500/9520/9800/9810
My Carrier: TMobile

Yes - 128 by 128 px [without any borders/padding] - just use the full image width...
[FileScout] | [iMazing] | [GPSLogger II] | [Iconify] | [TOMPlayer]
Please use plain text.