Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
hancocnd
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Application Entry Point Runtime Exception

[ Edited ]

I am currently working on a rather large app specifically for the Torch and OS6. As of right now I can't launch the app on the simulator or the device itself. When I try to launch it on the simulator, I get a RuntimeException error 104 on the thread net_rim_bb_ribbon_app(90)id=168331264 with ApplicationEntryPoint.run() line: 434 as the top item on the stack trace. In the debug console and on the phone itself when launching the application I get an error saying Class 'net.rim.device.api.crypto.MD5Digest' not found. Both the phone and the simulator have been wiped prior to installing the application and the app has been run successfully numerous times before.

Any help would  be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

edit: fixed the simulator startup exception with some svn reverts, but the app still won't run on the device. Now I am getting the error Class 'net.rim.device.resources.resource' not found on the device only.

Developer
JCarty
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650/BlackBerry Torch 9800

Re: Application Entry Point Runtime Exception

Welcome to the forums!

Your edit gives a better indication of your problem.

net.rim.device.resources.resource does not exist. I'm not sure why it would run on the simulator either.

It sounds like you are localizing your project or dealing with library projects. Does your error give you any indication as to where the problem is?

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
New Contributor
hancocnd

[ Edited ]

The error on the device appears in a dialog box that shows up after trying to launch the app from the home screen.

I just took a look at the event log and I found the following entries related to the app (oldest to newest):

a System - CMM: TorchApp(2998) no sig from 0x33

a System - CMM: TorchApp(2998) no sig from 0x33

a System - VM:LINK TorchApp

a System - Class 'net.rim.device.resources.Resource' not found.

a System - Linker error: 'VerifyError' for TorchApp

a net.rim.ribbon - Error starting TorchApp: Class 'net.rim.device.resources.Resource' not found (this is the error that shows up to the user when trying to launch the app).

From a quick search the first two entries are related to a signing key that is only for RIM apps, so it can be ignored (see here: http://www.blackberryforums.com/developer-forum/117885-what-system-cmm-app-3-1075-no-sig-0x33-bb-log... and after that I'm still looking.

edit: ran preverify on our app's jar file in regards to the VerifyError and no errors were reported (see here: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Error-loading-module-VerifyError/td-p/256174...

edit2: We moved the src/res files over to a new project and now the app runs on a torch! I have no idea where the actual problem lied but for now everything is working!

Developer
JCarty
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650/BlackBerry Torch 9800

Nice! It sounds like there were some corrupt resource files associated with the project that were corrected by creating the new project.

If this is resolved, could you accept the most appropriate post as your solution?

Thanks.
Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
New Contributor
hancocnd

Lesson learned: if it doesn't work and you have no idea why, wipe/clean the device/simulator and/or make a new project and re-add all your source/resource files.

New Contributor
itnivas

hi Handcocnd,

Did you got any solution for your problem.

Thanks in advance!

New Contributor
hancocnd

Look at the posts above yours...

New Contributor
itnivas

hi Hancocnd,

Thanks for your reply. I am asking the reason for the occurance of this type of error. I need a proper solution other than wipe/clean the device/simulator and/or make a new project and re-add all your source/resource files. Some time wiping/cleaning works but not for the most of the times.

Note : when running the same code through JDE(with 4.6 or 4.5 to take build and 5.0 to run) it is working fine. But doing the same in Eclipse throws the exception Class 'net.rim.device.resources.Resource' not found/ verify linker error. In Eclipse I used the 4.6 library to configure the build path and used jre 5.0 to run but no use.