Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
tuyennguyencanada
My Device: Not Specified

Application Permission - Personal Information message

In my BlackBerry app, I invoke a permission request for RECORDING feature
for the app when it is first launched.

It works fine with BlackBerry Storm.

However, when I install and run the app on BlackBerry Torch, after the app asked permission for Recording, it popups a dialog box about Application Permission Request as follow:

"Some applications do not function properly unless they are given the permission they request; however, allowing applications the following permissions may impact your privacy, security, or cost.

Personal Information
This includes content such as your email address, contact information, audio files, video files, and other saved files. Some application might share your personal information with third parties."

There is only a button "Save" for this dialog box. The app DOES NOT collect user information. Do you know why users have this Personal Information message? How to disable this? What shall I explain to users about this message?

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: Application Permission - Personal Information message

use

http://www.blackberry.com/developers/docs/6.0.0api/net/rim/device/api/applicationcontrol/Application... net.rim.device.api.applicationcontrol.ReasonProvider)

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
New Developer
maratm
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Application Permission - Personal Information message

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I'm not sure you are right ... The ReasonProvider was COMPLETELLY IGNORED for Torch  & Style devices .... at least on the first permissons screen .. may be it helps at the time of invocation of some restricted methods .. but not on the first run ....

Well .. It's hard to believe that RIM set ApplicationPermissions.PERMISSION_RECORDING to be Personal permission ... but looks like they did ...

manager.addReasonProvider(ApplicationDescriptor.currentApplicationDescriptor(),

new net.rim.device.api.applicationcontrol.ReasonProvider()
           {
           public String getMessage(int permissionID)
           {

String message = null;             
             // Set specific messages for specific permission IDs
              switch (permissionID)
              {

case ApplicationPermissions.PERMISSION_BLUETOOTH:
                          return HRes.GET(RES_PERM_BT); //"Bluetooth Communication required for connection with Bluetooth enabled devices";

case ApplicationPermissions.PERMISSION_IDLE_TIMER:
                          return HRes.GET(RES_PERM_IDLE_TIMER);// "Timer is required to run reminders and scheduled tasks";

// 4.2 only - depricated : ApplicationPermissions.PERMISSION_EXTERNAL_CONNECTIONS:
                      case ApplicationPermissions.PERMISSION_INTERNET :

return HRes.GET(RES_PERM_INTERNET);//"Internet Communication required for connection with Server";

//4.2 only - depricated :  ApplicationPermissions.PERMISSION_INTERNAL_CONNECTIONS :
                     case ApplicationPermissions.PERMISSION_SERVER_NETWORK:
                     case ApplicationPermissions.PERMISSION_LOCAL_CONNECTIONS:  

return HRes.GET(RES_PERM_INTERNAL_CNN);// "Internal Communication required for connection with Server";

//Depricated : ApplicationPermissions.PERMISSION_SCREEN_CAPTURE :
                     case ApplicationPermissions.PERMISSION_RECORDING :

return HRes.GET(RES_PERM_RECORDING);// "Required for access camera recording features";

case ApplicationPermissions.PERMISSION_WIFI :
                     return HRes.GET(RES_PERM_WIFI);// "WiFi Communication required for connection through wireless router";

default:
                    return HRes.GET(RES_PERM_DEF_FEATURE);//"Please allow this access for full app functionality";

}}});

Please use plain text.