Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
tom_s
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Application/library upgrade question

I have a library (call it lib.cod) that is used by a set of applications (app1.cod, app2.cod, ... appN.cod etc).

If I make changes to lib.cod, at some point I have to update the various appN.cod files. Clearly if appN.cod calls a function that no longer exists in lib.cod I will have to update, and I believe that purely internal changes to lib.cod do not require updated appN.cod files.

Is there a general statement of what changes in lib.cod require appN.cod to be updated?

Tom Slee

Developer
rafo

Re: Application/library upgrade question

It is all about incapsulation.

If you have updated private methods/fields - you do not need to update external apps.

But if you've changed public api - you have to update external apps those are using these changed api.

----------------
if your issue solved set "Solution" mark at the relevant post
Developer
tom_s

Thanks - can I clarify my question?

I am missing an understanding of how BlackBerry implements function calls at a low level. Is it only apps that use the changed function calls that would have to update? Suppose I introduce a new function in my lib.cod (so obviously no old application calls it). Will the old apps continue to work?

Developer
rafo

If you just introduce new methods and preserve library cod-module name old applications have to work ok.

On my experience it is ok and it works perfectly.

----------------
if your issue solved set "Solution" mark at the relevant post
Developer
tom_s

That's what I was looking for. Cheers.